What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rye saison.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410745271.793473.jpg

Decided I'm going to keep going after looking at my work calendar for tomorrow.

My Wit.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410745584.847800.jpg

Go Niners.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410745600.923525.jpg
My first Pliny; brought back from my first trip to Colorado! Bottled about 2 weeks ago. Yowza.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not a big wine person but, I just worked a job and served wine that costs more per bottle than my 2 monthly car payments and utilities combined.

# howtheotherhalflives

1410748071088.jpg

1410748084750.jpg

Sticking with the Coke Zero as I finish writing up my brew day notes... Scottish ale with pumpkin and spices. Indications are that this is going to be a VERY good brew!

Brother in-law visiting tells me he's planning on bringing a little something called "Westvleteren XII" to Thanksgiving this year. I dunno...he says it's from 2008. Probably lost any hoppiness or effervescence. I may give it the single nostril sniff and try to drink some, just to make the brother in-law happy.

No pic but a cellar raid provided another Colette gusher. SWMBO had me pour her another Moundbuilder and then promptly crashed.... giving me something to drink while Colette settles.

Not a big wine person but, I just worked a job and served wine that costs more per bottle than my 2 monthly car payments and utilities combined.

# howtheotherhalflives

Did you score a bottle? Or at least a taste of that $700 to $2000 bottle?

Heh. There were only 32000 bottles of that wine produced and you held one of them. Don't you feel special? ;-)

I'm about 30 minutes into my boil. I had to get a new canister of oxygen...Thought it seemed too soon, but it was definitely not putting out any oxygen. And my Brewer's Friend recipe builder must be WAY underestimating my BIAB efficiency (34%), because I thought I was going to have to add 3lbs of DME to get my SG right, but pre-boil exceeded projection before adding any. I'm actually glad I can leave it out! More coffee while I wait for the 15 minute additions. How is yours going? Something with pecans sounds very interesting!

Technically, it went well. The system was definitely unlike what I use at home and mash temps were all f'ed at first. It was stressful because it jumped to 160 for a moment then back down to 145...eventually I settled at 154 and just left it. I was using keggles and the setup had two mash tuns, two boil kettles, and the HLT.

For the first time in my brewing of all grain I hit my OG spot on with one batch and slightly higher on the other batch. They're blended so in the end, my OG was 1.083 and I was looking for 1.082. I could not believe it. Second, I hit my volumes which was incredible. The problem though is as a group we all worked together and whoever took the Speidel to clean it and sanitize it, did leave the valve open and I did not notice. We lost 7 gallons and are left with about 13 today...we'll have about 2 sixtels to serve on the 11th. That is the only thing that really bugs me right now but it happened and I have to let it go. I wish I had taken initiative and checked the Speidel myself since I was spraying it with starsan still in spite of it being sprayed a number of times before.

All in all though, it was an awesome brew day with a lot of great people, beer and fun. I am coming back in a week to dry hop with 3 additional pounds of pecans, two vanilla beans, and two cinnamon sticks. That was decided last night because I want to be sure the pecan comes through. It was already but that is the first to go as a beer ages. Not that this will age, but still.

Sorry for the ramble. I'm drinking water until I move my butt to get coffee.

Technically, it went well. The system was definitely unlike what I use at home and mash temps were all f'ed at first. It was stressful because it jumped to 160 for a moment then back down to 145...eventually I settled at 154 and just left it. I was using keggles and the setup had two mash tuns, two boil kettles, and the HLT.

For the first time in my brewing of all grain I hit my OG spot on with one batch and slightly higher on the other batch. They're blended so in the end, my OG was 1.083 and I was looking for 1.082. I could not believe it. Second, I hit my volumes which was incredible. The problem though is as a group we all worked together and whoever took the Speidel to clean it and sanitize it, did leave the valve open and I did not notice. We lost 7 gallons and are left with about 13 today...we'll have about 2 sixtels to serve on the 11th. That is the only thing that really bugs me right now but it happened and I have to let it go. I wish I had taken initiative and checked the Speidel myself since I was spraying it with starsan still in spite of it being sprayed a number of times before.

All in all though, it was an awesome brew day with a lot of great people, beer and fun. I am coming back in a week to dry hop with 3 additional pounds of pecans, two vanilla beans, and two cinnamon sticks. That was decided last night because I want to be sure the pecan comes through. It was already but that is the first to go as a beer ages. Not that this will age, but still.

Congrats on the brew day with the big equipment! When I bottled my pumpkin porter I let the bottling bucket fill enough to ensure i had the valve screwed tight enough not to leak and then went upstairs for a minute. When I came down I saw my beer flowing out the opened valve and appropriately smacked myself after shutting it and cleaning up the two beers worth that were lost. :smack:

On to coffee - at least it is a gorgeous fall-like day morning out. Makes the Monday part a little less sucky.

Yeah. I've lost beer before but never like that. I was fixated on keeping the hoses in check and watching the chilling of the second batch. It'll be okay. Two sixtels for an anniversary party is good.

Coffee

Sure is! Troegonator, hop knife, and perpetual IPA so far.

You should come out for the anniversary party on October 11th, that's when it'll be tapped.

I hope so or I'll be whining to you to send me some. ;)

Coffee. Pecans are roasted and ready for a double brew day. The nerves comes from never using this system and having to make 20 gallons, 10 each batch. I'm sure it'll be fun though. I'm hoping we get a whole day of this fall weather since there is no a/c in the brew house.

Coffee for me, too.

Sorry about the lost beer, but glad to hear the numbers were hit...I'm sure it will be delish! I'm hoping I will be able to be there to try it! Mine is bubbling this morning...without pre-measured yeast and not knowing squat about calculating pitch rates and figuring out what I actually have in the flask...it's a bit of a gamble. Just have to trust that an aggressive starter will equal a sufficient pitch.

Sprint workout done at the field. Coff.

And bottling this year's Pumpkin ale.

Crap!! Just realized that when I cold crashed a few days ago, I left the Blowoff tube attached. I totally forgot to detach, so now there's about 60 oz of starsan solution in the beer. I'm really hoping it's not ruined.

Drinking water and praying the beer will survive.

Crap!! Just realized that when I cold crashed a few days ago, I left the Blowoff tube attached. I totally forgot to detach, so now there's about 60 oz of starsan solution in the beer. I'm really hoping it's not ruined.

I did that once. Lot less volume and it was pretty much ruined. I still drank it, but it wasn't very good.

On my sixth or seventh coffee. Ugh. Mondays.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No worries man, it should be fine but maybe a little diluted... You aren't the first to do this ;)

On the coffee, looking forward to some IPA's tonight.

Two more quick pulls of Tiger Uppercut.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410797432.029608.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410797438.950470.jpg

Great day to be alive.

No worries man, it should be fine but maybe a little diluted... You aren't the first to do this ;)

On the coffee, looking forward to some IPA's tonight.

Thanks guys. I know better... I've read about happening before... Just wasn't thinking about it. Guess they are right, you can't fix stupid. Haha.

It was going to be an 8.5% double IPA. So I guess that's a plus and the mash pH was a little high so maybe that will fix it lol.

Diet Cherry Pepsi and some homemade tuna salad...after canning 4 pints of peach salsa. I've done more beer/cider/wine lately than I have canning, but I do have foraged wild muscadine grape jelly, foraged crab apple jelly and the salsa to enter into competition at the state fair next month.

Currently drinking this about 500 feet into the woods out back.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410802166.511835.jpg

With
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410802207.662469.jpg

Back