Clarity Ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
Hello from the UK

This my first post here as I normally just read the posts here when I have time as there are loads of great topics. I have been brewing for over 10 years but all grain for over 6 years and I need some help please.

My brother has recently been diagnosed celiac and is missing his beer. I brewed a steam beer as a trial using M54 Californian Lager Yeast and pitched Clarity Ferm at the same time as recommended by White Labs.

The OG was 1.052 and the FG ended up at only 1.019. I oxygenated the wort with bottled O2 before pitching at 18c. (I have now pitched more yeast and its staring to ferment again)

My question are:

1. Does Clarity Ferm drop yeast out leading to higher FG??
2. Should I pitch clarity Ferm after most of the fermenting has been done but will this affect the gluten reducing power?

Thanks again

Hello from the UK
1. Does Clarity Ferm drop yeast out leading to higher FG??
2. Should I pitch clarity Ferm after most of the fermenting has been done but will this affect the gluten reducing power?
Thanks again

1. No. I split an ESB batch in two, adding Clarity ferm to half. The non half went to 1.009 and the CF half went to 1.007.
2. Pitch it with the yeast.

http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/frame.php?i=329042&p=&pn=&ver=flex page 34

Sorry for reviving and old post....but, I too use Clarity Ferm because my son also has Celiac's disease. I don't split the batch, I just follow the instructions from white labs and I put the Clarity Ferm in when I pitch the yeast. I have not noticed any issues with fermentation or taste, but the beer is usually clearer. He's able to drink it (a glass or two) without any issues.

Back