Burner Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morning_Dew

Reaction score
Could someone point me to exactly what I would need to add so I could automatically control my burners.

I have a Blichmann Top Tier with 2 burners.

I'm looking for the actual hardware others have used to turn the flame at each burner OFF/ON individually.

Preferably DC control.

I'm a little ignorant as to what I need. Will I need a valve to stop and allow the gas flow AND a seperate piece to cause ignition? Or is it one single unit that handles both the flow and igniting the burner.

I use standard 20# propane tanks, if it makes a difference.

Here's a 120v solution:

I'm in the process of building my stand (taking lots of ideas from JonW) and these are the valves I'm using for gas control (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Brass-Electric-Solenoid-Valve-110-120-VAC-Water-Air-Fuels-Gas-VITON-B21V-/290716195361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b0091a21#ht_2096wt_907. Supply 120vac to them and the solenoid opens.

Then, you need some form of a pilot, either a standing flame (might be easiest, but susceptible to wind), grill ignitor, or hot surface ignitor. I'm going with HSIs myself (Search Honeywell Hot Surface Igniter model number Q3200U1004 on ebay). However, with the HSIs you want to be able to turn them on for a few seconds before you open the gas (using the BCS-462 for my stand to start the HSI's few seconds before triggering the solenoid valves). If you go the pilot flame route, you will just need to control the 120vac to the solenoid with a simple switch.

I'm not to familiar with the Blichmann top tier, so i'm not sure what all the options could be. Just figured I would give you one solution.

Baso makes pretty good stuff. We use em to retrofit old boilers etc...so they have a lot of options for you. From pilot to electronic ignition. I don't know about DC control....anything you'll come across is generally 24v AC. It'll be easier to get a gas valve with pilot, and interface the 24V main valve to your primary DC controls using a relay.

http://www.baso.com

Back