Sugar too early? Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplante

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post, first batch of brew (extract). Going for a cream ale. Misunderstood the guy at the store I think, and during the boil process, I added 1 cup of corn sugar to the wort.

Simple question - is this going to be a problem? Do I need to start again?
Thanks, and hope to be a good contributing member :)

mplante said:
Hi all,

First post, first batch of brew (extract). Going for a cream ale. Misunderstood the guy at the store I think, and during the boil process, I added 1 cup of corn sugar to the wort.

Simple question - is this going to be a problem? Do I need to start again?
Thanks, and hope to be a good contributing member :)

Not a problem. No need to start again. That sugar was intended for when you bottled, so you'll just need more sugar then. You don't need corn sugar...regular white sugar works just as well.

I'm also going to suggest you rake a look at http://www.HowToBrew.com - an excellent resource (and free!)

Wow, thanks for that and for the quick reply!
I'll let you know how it turns out.
Cheers!

You'll be fine. That sugar will just provide a little bit more fermentable sugars to the mix. You probably won't even notice it. But, yes, that was intended for bottling. :)

Table sugar is fine, but it will affect the taste of your brew whereas corn sugar will not. You can use honey, syrup, sugar, corn sugar...most any sugar will work...but make sure you understand what you're doing because anything but corn sugar will affect the taste slightly.

You'll be fine. That sugar will just provide a little bit more fermentable sugars to the mix. You probably won't even notice it. But, yes, that was intended for bottling. :)

Table sugar is fine, but it will affect the taste of your brew whereas corn sugar will not. You can use honey, syrup, sugar, corn sugar...most any sugar will work...but make sure you understand what you're doing because anything but corn sugar will affect the taste slightly.

Table sugar used at bottling will not affect the flavor. Using several pounds of sugar in a batch may impact the flavor, though that is also debatable, but the amount you use at bottling is so small relative to the volume of beer that there is no need to worry about any flavor contribution. Things like maple syrup or molasses or other strongly-flavored sugars will likely make a difference, but not standard, white table sugar.

Back