Scorched Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
Last time I brewed, I scorched my pot pretty badly with LME.

This time, I'm using a heat diffusor- however, I haven't been able to get all of scorched malt off.

I've soaked it in pbw overnight, but there's one bit that just won't come off. It's about the size of two quarters.

If I brew again without removing this little bit of scorched malt, will it cause problems? I've scrubbed and scrubbed, but can't seem to get it off

No it won't cause any problems. Turn the fire off (or remove the kettle from the heat if on electric stove) when you add your extract. Get it mixed in and then turn the heat back on.

I try to keep things stirred up until the wort begins to boil.
When you clean from this batch, try a paste of baking soda and water. I've "wet sanded" really bad messes this way.

I had a similar issue with my SS pot. I ended up boiling some pbw in the pot and letting it sit overnight afterward. I'm sure there's reasons to not do this but it worked out ok for me.

Just tried boiling PBW- the fumes were insane! Had to turn it off and open the door- I dont think that stuff is designed to be boiled

Back