What PID should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadn't seen those near that price. Thanks for the link. Also, from what I have seen the k types are easier to set up and I have never done anything like this before so was hoping for ease of use of k type but if these r better I will go this route. Just need to find a disconnect for the panel now and I will b set.

Use that link I posted earlier to model yours after. You will need XLR connectors. Can be found on Amazon for cheap. They are basically microphone connectors I believe. But they are what's normally used in our situation

Hadn't seen those near that price. Thanks for the link. Also, from what I have seen the k types are easier to set up and I have never done anything like this before so was hoping for ease of use of k type but if these r better I will go this route. Just need to find a disconnect for the panel now and I will b set.

The only difference is selecting pt100 instead of the k type for temp probe and the fact that the rtd has 3 wires instead of two...for k type I believe cable length may effect the temp readout and more calibrations may need to be done.
RTD probes are fairly straight forward to wire up though... a 3 pin xlr connector like mentioned already work well ... thats what I use and theres links to them in my build thread below.... the quick disconnect ones are $20 with shipping and well worth the money but I went with the ones like I linked earlier before I learned the hard way and ruined the cables because they catch on everything.... and then I bought the quick disconnect ones... the cheaper ones work well but they are just inconvenient and have the crappy stainless wire coating which kinks easily and catches on stuff...

The only difference is selecting pt100 instead of the k type for temp probe and the fact that the rtd has 3 wires instead of two...for k type I believe cable length may effect the temp readout and more calibrations may need to be done.

With thermocouples it's not the length of the wire that's important, but rather the connections. The connectors need to be specifically designed for the particular thermocouple type, or you will get extraneous voltages generated by the connections that will shift your temperature readings in unpredictable ways.

Brew on :mug:

Back