What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kid is coming home this weekend and requested Zuppa Toscana. Wife insists on a double batch because she knows Kim is going to want to take some back to school with her.

But I'd really like to cook up something different while she is home. I am taking Friday off (unless something unforeseen comes up at work) and will have time to play in the Kitchen.

Any ideas? Can't be anything too far out there as I live in West Central Northern Lower Michigan and our stores are not that worldly.

Chicken piccata?
chicken saltimbocca?

@Homercidal - if you're sticking to soup, maybe a chicken tortilla or cheddar stout? If you're not locked into soup, perhaps some chicken cacciatore (should go well in this cold!)

Sausage Soup

1.5 lbs of hot Italian sausage and 1 lb of bacon. (fresh off the hog from the butcher)
Barley (2.5 cups)
Carrots (2)
Corn (2C)
Celery (3stalks + leaves)
Chicken broth (1 gal)
Onion (1 lg.sweet)
Garlic (2 lg cloves)
Hot pepper flakes - herbs - spices (what ever you like)

Clarified the onion and garlic in the bacon grease

I'm not locked into soup. I am making the soup she requested, and want to try something else.

I will have to look those ideas up and see what they look like. Couple of really good suggestions!

Breakfast this morning...eggs over medium, sausage, and sausage gravy over biscuits. I let Pillsbury supply the biscuit dough.
@Homercidal ...how about some pasties? Those will freeze and travel well, if leftovers have to travel!

IMG_20150225_105745080.jpg

Pasties are an option, but they would not be new and exciting. My young one likes them, but after touring the UP a couple of years, I am not sure I can live up to her expectations! And the older one probably doesn't hold them in as high esteem.

I'd make them just for me and my little one, but I'm on a low carb diet and they would throw that thing right out the window.

Now I'm hungry for pasties!

Flemish stew over fries?

I kind of like this idea. Not sure about fries. My young one is a fan of egg noodles and I can see maybe making this with rice, noodles, fries, whatever anyone wants. Maybe even spaghetti squash?? Maybe not...

It's certianly different from what I normally make.

I made Beef Bourguingon once and it was horrible. WAY too much red wine flavor. I don't care for wine, in general, and it was not a welcome addition to my food.

The final product..

Soooo good.

It was one small pork tenderloin, one large onion, 6 tomatillos , garlic. The squash as much as you want. 2 chipotles. easy...

My wife requests this a lot. one her favorites.

That just looks fantastic! I can't believe I missed this, but I came across it today and I have got to give it a try! Thanks for posting it :mug:

Hard to beat chicken noodle and a loaf of homemade bread.

Or pizza night. Everyone loves pizza...or else.

Yeah, my young one makes chicken noodle all the time. She likes to buy noodles and make the broth from bouillon. Usually it's when I have chicken left over form something else, but she has purchased chicken and carrots, and celery just for soup before too.

I kind of like this idea. Not sure about fries. My young one is a fan of egg noodles and I can see maybe making this with rice, noodles, fries, whatever anyone wants. Maybe even spaghetti squash?? Maybe not...

It's certianly different from what I normally make.

I made Beef Bourguingon once and it was horrible. WAY too much red wine flavor. I don't care for wine, in general, and it was not a welcome addition to my food.

I have been told that the Belgians eat this with fries. The woman that told me this is from Brugge.

I have been told that the Belgians eat this with fries. The woman that told me this is from Brugge.

I think it would be awesome with fries! The picture I saw had noodles and my young one loves them, so it would be a natural fit for her.

I'd want to see exactly what kind of fries they eat with it. From what I have seen, fries can be made different ways in different regions of the world.

To her it was any type of potato product deep fried to golden and crispy.
Her dad hand cuts them. Over here they use the crinkle cut fries.

To her it was any type of potato product deep fried to golden and crispy.
Her dad hand cuts them. Over here they use the crinkle cut fries.

I'll be honest, I really don't want to deep fry the fries. I don't have a deep fryer and it's time consuming. What I read online is that they fry their fries twice, like I thought. Makes the best fries IMO.

Make sure you give yourself AMPLE time to caramelize the onions... it takes WAY longer than the recipes suggest... and it is SO worth it!

Good to know!

If you have a specific recipe feel free to link or post it!

I did a brisket over the weekend in the dutch oven using this recipe. It came out ok, but was still a little tough and dry as brisket tends to be.

Anyone have a decent brisket recipe? I bought two at the store so I might try more of a bbq style with the next one.

I'll be honest, I really don't want to deep fry the fries. I don't have a deep fryer and it's time consuming. What I read online is that they fry their fries twice, like I thought. Makes the best fries IMO.

Good to know!

If you have a specific recipe feel free to link or post it!

Link sent.

anyone have a tasty wonton with spicy peanut sauce recipe they want to share?

I really like this sauce...

3/4 cup natural-style creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 1/2 medium limes)
4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons chile-garlic paste
1 medium garlic clove, mashed to a paste
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10658-peanut-sauce

Don't use the added sugar unless you have a no-sugar-added-peanut butter, up the spice however you want (sriracha, etc...), and I use garlic powder out of laziness

I use it a lot for satay, spring rolls (rice paper wrapped, not the fried kind), pot stickers, etc.

No help on wontons, sorry.

20141221_195605-1a.jpg

I really like this sauce...

3/4 cup natural-style creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1 1/2 medium limes)
4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons chile-garlic paste
1 medium garlic clove, mashed to a paste
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10658-peanut-sauce

Don't use the added sugar unless you have a no-sugar-added-peanut butter, up the spice however you want (sriracha, etc...), and I use garlic powder out of laziness

I use it a lot for satay, spring rolls (rice paper wrapped, not the fried kind), pot stickers, etc.

No help on wontons, sorry.

That looks awesome. Perhaps i'll sub some honey for the sugar because I don't buy the sweetened peanut butter.
Thank you!

Those eggs are over easy right? There is something blasphemous about a solid egg yolk unless you are hard boiling the egg.

I like mine over medium. And I'm really picky about it. Most breakfast places get it wrong. And if breakfast is not their specialty, it's almost impossible. It usually ends up coming out with the whites browned and crunchy, yet the yolks are raw and there's usually some snotty whites that didn't manage to overcook like the rest. Obviously, they have the griddle too hot and are rushing. I want whites that are cooked through, but still white and I want the yolks warm and starting to thicken, so that when I cut them, the yolks flow and there's enough to coat the whites...with a little left for sopping with toast or biscuits.

anyone have a tasty wonton with spicy peanut sauce recipe they want to share?

I used this recipe for glazing salmon on Valentine's Day and then for lo mein a few nights later. It doesn't have any peanuts/peanut butter in it and it's not really spicy...more of a hoisin bbq sauce; however, it's a very versatile base! Want it spicy? Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and a squirt of Sriracha. Peanut flavor? Add a tablespoon of peanut butter or finely chopped peanuts. Need it thinner? Add a little water. Some cilantro and/or green onions might be good! I left out some toasted sesame oil...probably a teaspoon...SWMBO has a severe sesame allergy.

HOISIN BBQ SAUCE

2 tablespoons canola oil
2 large shallots, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Sauté shallot in oil until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.

Keep in the fridge like ketchup ...lasts a long time.

IMG_20150214_161243306.jpg

IMG_20150214_162745989.jpg

Homer have you ever had Johnny Marzetti? It is an easy ,cheap, soul satisfying dish that is you might want to try.It is called goulash in some parts and american chop suey? in others .Google it and whatever you do use elbow macaroni not noodles!

I like mine over medium. And I'm really picky about it. Most breakfast places get it wrong. And if breakfast is not their specialty, it's almost impossible. It usually ends up coming out with the whites browned and crunchy, yet the yolks are raw and there's usually some snotty whites that didn't manage to overcook like the rest. Obviously, they have the griddle too hot and are rushing. I want whites that are cooked through, but still white and I want the yolks warm and starting to thicken, so that when I cut them, the yolks flow and there's enough to coat the whites...with a little left for sopping with toast or biscuits.

Dippy eggs! At least that's what my wife has always called them, and ordering in some southern resturants that's all you need to say :)

Back