Repitching a Slurry for 1.070 OG batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
So I've harvested Wyeast 3522 from my batch I just bottled last night. I got quite a bit of yeast from it.

I know it is often recommended that you "feed" the yeast for higher gravity beers by adding the simple sugars after peak yeast activity has occurred but is a 1.070 OG wort with simple sugars constituting 11.24% of my fermentables enough to increment the sugar introduction or not?

I'll have a very large viable pitch rate due to the harvest.

Sorry but nobody? I have done searches but mostly pulled up vague info.

Someone's gotta have experience with this?

You should be fine. If you have an entire yeast cake from the last batch, you have plenty of yeast to do the job. As long as the yeast is healthy and the viability is good, you should have no trouble with a 1.070 gravity beer. The "feeding" that you speak of is a technique that brewers use to make more "extreme" beers- think Sam Adams Utopias, Dogfish Head 120, and the like.

Thanks for the advice man. Do you think the entire yeast cake would be too much?

Mr Malty says I need about 1 cup at my thickness level. I have about 4 cups total, but I'm not confident about my thickness estimation.

I'm guessing I can pitch half and see how it goes, hell I might as well pitch the whole thing, it won't be very viable by my next brew day after this next one anyway.

Unless I save some to make yeast cake & jelly sandwiches :ban:

Latest posts

Back