10 year old kegs....need refurbishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdbart

Reaction score
I just received 4 corny kegs.....well....

3 Challenger VI
& 1 Cornelius Keg "super champ"

They are 10 years old and 2 were full of beer (and still had pressure)
I also received the 20 lbs CO2 tank as well

I took them apart to clean them and disassembled the posts....I know which ones are the in and out and also to which keg they below to, but I disassembled the poppet valves and I don't know which one belongs to which post..... I have 4 poppet valves that look like this Firestone Poppet and 4 that look like this Cornelius Poppet

Are the poppet valves interchangeable?

Is this Rebuild Kit sufficient??

Do I need lube?

Is this over kill...Keg Lid
I already have a carbonating stone....with a pump and filter....How do you carbonate without this lid??

Do the Relief Valves need replacing???

Do I need a new CO2 regulator?

Basically, yes to all except the poppets being interchangeable and the regulator which, assuming you already have one, you can only check by pressure testing it on your setup (i.e. hooking it up to your dispenser/kegerator). Since the kit from Morebeer didn't include any, grab a tube o' lube like this. Also remember that, if you're ordering new poppets, each keg requires 2, and I'd also suggest you replace all washers & grommets on each keg when you swap out the poppets.

As for the carbonating lid, that would be complete overkill since you can easily force carb by attaching the CO2 line to whatever keg you're carbonating, setting it at 10-15 PSI for 1-2 weeks, shaking it a bit, and re-attaching it at serving pressure (usually 8-10 PSI). Here's a handy force carbonating chart that lists temperature and PSI settings. (You should also purge the oxygen prior to shaking by popping the pressure release valve a few times after 1 or 2 days.)

How do I tell which poppet valve went to which post??

That's a tough one. I've learned the hard way when I break down kegs never to mix up the parts! "Out" posts and their contents go on the counter in a bowl with the correct keg in front of it, while the "in" stuff goes in another bowl. They are not interchangeable.

There is a photo here somewhere that has the pictures of different poppets and which posts they fit- I'll see if I can find it.

Back