When adding potassium sorbate...???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebux

Reaction score
WHen adding potassium sorbate ....will it dissolve on its own into the mead?? Or should it be mixed after it is dropped in?? Can we dissolve on side in water and then add. Not wanting to stir if possible.. Mead has been racked 1 time and i don't want to disturb the clearing process if possible.... Mead is getting dryer than we want and still fermenting.....

Sorbate won't stop an active fermentation. You will have to first cold crash it to drop the yeast into dormancy and then rack off from the yeast. Then you can add your sorbate to stop the yeast starting up again.

When adding sorbate I usually take a sample of the mead, put it in a small pan and add the sorbate and crushed camden tablet. I lightly heat the mixture and gently stir until all the chemicals have fully disolved, then put it in a fresh carboy and rack on top of it.

Back