Jamil Z's Evil Twin recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of recipes for Evil Twin using different hops. I'd like the look of the one with Columbus/Cent/Cascade, rather than Amaril/Cent.

Has anyone brewed this recently, and what is the recipe?

Thanks

I brewed the version of Evil Twin from MrMalty.com a while back - it is the version with Amarillo though. I personally did not like it very much. Apparently when northern brewer ran out of amarillo Jamil changed the recipe around to use different hops (probably the one you are referring to from NB website). I think next time I try for an "india red ale" I think I will try a different recipe, for what it is worth.

JG

elproducto said:
I actually heard on the latest Sunday Session, that Jamil's Heretic brewing is doing Evil Twin with Columbus/Citra.

Interesting combo...I haven't done much with Columbus, but it sounds good. I think Amarillo and Citra would be good too.

Columbus and any really citrusy hop together makes a fantastic combo. Columbus is dank, spicy and pungent. When you pair that with centennial, cascade, amarillo etc..etc.. you get a very nice combo.

I just made an IPA, with columbus, centennial and cascade. It is going to be a delight.

I mostly agree with permo, that is a good combination of hops. Columbus and cascade play very nice together, as I have found out.

I made a batch with Columbus and Citra and I don't care for that combination.

I recently did this recipe too, I wasn't a huge fan of it (I bottled it up and am letting it condition more in the hopes it will improve).

I ran with the original recipe (amarillo centennial).

Honestly I wouldn't brew it again as is unless some aging changes it (I brewed it 4/30/11). Sure I will drink it, but I was disappointed. I dry hopped as well

I recently did this recipe too, I wasn't a huge fan of it (I bottled it up and am letting it condition more in the hopes it will improve).

I ran with the original recipe (amarillo centennial).

Honestly I wouldn't brew it again as is unless some aging changes it (I brewed it 4/30/11). Sure I will drink it, but I was disappointed. I dry hopped as well

Personally I like my India Red Ales to gain almost all of their color from dark crystal, up to C120, as opposed to pale chocolate or chocolate. I recently did one that was 1# C120, 1 # C80 and 1# C40 with only 4 oz of pale chcoolate for 12 gallons and it was red and tasty.

Personally I like my India Red Ales to gain almost all of their color from dark crystal, up to C120, as opposed to pale chocolate or chocolate. I recently did one that was 1# C120, 1 # C80 and 1# C40 with only 4 oz of pale chcoolate for 12 gallons and it was red and tasty.

I did a double of this and it had 8oz pale chocolate, so about what you are saying. H remind myself of what I don't like about it. owever there was also munich, victory with the crystal malts - so this might be to your point. Maybe the munich and victory are throwing this off for me. I will have to try one tonight to

It does seem that after having a pint of it, I don't want another.

Heretic's version is indeed Columbus and citra late, and gets most of it's color from crystal 75 and a small amount of roasted barley. There is no pale chocolate. It was a complete reformulation based on the original spirit of the beer. Most of the ibus are from late hops.

I did a double of this and it had 8oz pale chocolate, so about what you are saying. H remind myself of what I don't like about it. owever there was also munich, victory with the crystal malts - so this might be to your point. Maybe the munich and victory are throwing this off for me. I will have to try one tonight to

It does seem that after having a pint of it, I don't want another.

That's too much going on. I think Jamil just uses munich and victory far to much. Not to detract from his brews, as I have used his tried and true recipes numerous times as a starting point. I love this recipe for india red.......

12.5 pounds two row
1 pound oats
1/2 pound C120
1/2 pound C75
1/2 pound C45
2 oz chocolate
1 oz columbus FWH
1/2 oz columbus at 30
1 oz columbus at 15
1oz columbus at 10
1oz columbus at 5
1oz columbus at Flamout
2.5 oz columbus dry hop (two weeks)
Mash at 150
WLP007
OG = 1.070
FG = 1.010
roughly 90 IBU
Roughly 17 SRM

Give this baby time to age, but man its good. I am drinking one now:tank:

That's too much going on. I think Jamil just uses munich and victory far to much. Not to detract from his brews, as I have used his tried and true recipes numerous times as a starting point. I love this recipe for india red.......

12.5 pounds two row
1 pound oats
1/2 pound C120
1/2 pound C75
1/2 pound C45
2 oz chocolate
1 oz columbus FWH
1/2 oz columbus at 30
1 oz columbus at 15
1oz columbus at 10
1oz columbus at 5
1oz columbus at Flamout
2.5 oz columbus dry hop (two weeks)
Mash at 150
WLP007
OG = 1.070
FG = 1.010
roughly 90 IBU
Roughly 17 SRM

Give this baby time to age, but man its good. I am drinking one now:tank:

Thanks for the recipe I will have to give this a try - I know I won't be redoing Jamil's! For all the good Jamil recipes I have done, I guess there has to be a bad one. I brewed 10G of this stuff :( Hopefully age cures it some...

Any idea what the Heretic version's grain bill is? The reason I ask is my LHBS doesn't carry pale chocolate. I like the idea of being able to use 75L C & roasted barley.

Any idea what the Heretic version's grain bill is? The reason I ask is my LHBS doesn't carry pale chocolate. I like the idea of being able to use 75L C & roasted barley.

I would just use chocolate unless you are looking to change the brew - the roasted barley would add a very different dimension to the brew IMO. This isn't a roasty beer at all as is.

That said, the version I have right now has aged quite a bit and mellowed with the hops, so getting better. Almost like an imperial pale

I agree. I'm a crystal fan.

My India Red Ale recipe uses Crystal 80 and 120 (Magnum and Amarillo). Friggin awesome. Love the sweetness it produces.

Back