Tripel too sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syogod

Reaction score
I recently brewed this recipe and found it to be waaay too sweet. Trying to see if I did anything wrong or if it's just the recipe. My OG was 1.082 and FG was 1.011, pretty close to what the recipe called for so I don't think it stalled out. Was in the fermenter/secondary for about 6 weeks. No airlock activity for the last 4 weeks, and gravity wasn't changing either. Any thoughts?

Most would say a 1.011 wasn't very sweet. ......... But probably too sweet for me for a dry tripel. I'd like to be down to 1.006 to 1.008.

I'm not sure why the 1 lb of grain is in there - not doing much.

I think it is low in sugar. 1.5 lbs of candi sugar is about 10 points per gallon, or about 11%. This being an extract brew, you might want to up that to 20 or 25% to get it to dry out. I think I'd replace that lb of grain with a lb of table sugar, and that would probably get you down somewhere around 1.008. If it is still in the fermenter, I would add a lb of table sugar and see what happens.

Back