The 1-2-3 Rule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I have a kolsch fermenting in the primary that I started last Wedndesday. Today it is still happily bubbling away and there still is quite a lot of activity visible in the carboy. I usually follow the "1-2-3" rule (one week in primary, two in secondary, three in bottles). If the fermentation is still active on Wednesday, should I wait before racking to the secondary?

Yes. Rack the beer across when it is ready to be racked, rather than at some pre-determined time.
Some brews take longer than others - let nature run its course!

Nature seems to be running a mini-marathon rather than a sprint. Although there have been a number of threads in the past where people have said that some of their shortest ferments have resulted in excellent batches, my best batch to date had the longest ferment.

Dude said:
I'm noticing the 1-2-3 rule is sh!tcanned when using honey too. That stuff takes forever to ferment.

For real. I made a super simple amber ale in which I added a pound of honey, before I owned a hydrometer. It was in the primary for 10 days and the secondary for 19, so I thought it was ready to go. It turned out very sweet, though...like, unfermented sweet. Doh!

Back