Making a Tea for Prime time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaqhat

Reaction score
So, I'm about 7 days from the priming stage of my Quad.
I goofed and sent the spices in the kettle at the beginning of the boil instead of the last 10min. I'm sure the flavors have all but been eliminated. I have this super-great idea of making a tea to be dumped into the priming bucket at the time of adding the suger and dry yeast. Here is what I made to test.

1cup of boiling water
9 Coriander seeds,
star anise (1 point),
1/2tsp allspice,vanilla (I'll use a real bean for this for the final mix),
1/4 cup brown sugar

For a really cheap test, I boiled this for 10 min and added it to a wet hopped ale, just to see how the spices melded together. It was a very subtle flavor (which I enjoyed). I'm curious about everyones thoughts on this, and wondering how to translate it to a 5 gal batch.

Also: I also had an idea to test the same mixture with a cup of bourbon in lieu of water.

Thoughts?

/Blaqhat

9 Coriander seeds?
I have made a tea at bottling time and dumped into the bottling bucket. Works very well. Just remember that it is better to under spice than over spice.
Also, what is star anise...never heard of it.

Star anise tastes like licorice.

That actually sounds like very little coriander compared to other spices. Does it even come through?

I just used 9 and crushed them. It was only for the tea, to test. I would, of course increase the amount if I decide to add it to the beer. I only want a little flavor, and not turn the ale into a seasonal spiced ale.

When you added it to the wet hopped ale did you add the entire amout? What was the quantity of the ale, that will help in trying to figure out how to scale it.

Heli-

I added about 2-3 tblsp to about 8 oz of ale. I wasn't trying to be too exact with it, other than making sure I didn't add so much that it tasted seasonal, and not too little that I couldn't even tell the difference. I was pretty happy with what came of it. Very subtle, but I can see it getting stronger as it ages. Just, not sure. I still really want to try it with the whiskey. :)

Back