Orange/Cascade question--

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Was reading a few of the recipes on here for the Orange/Cascade pale ale and some mention orange peel and orange zest. Are these technically going to achieve the same result?

Also, what would some good oranges be to use for this and if i use the peel, do I just use the peel as if i was peeling the orange to eat it?

I'd rather use fresh orange peel than the dried stuff.

Speaking from much experience with citrus zest/peels, I would NOT use the entire peel from any citrus. Just use the zest and you will get all the citrusy goodness without the bitterness from the pith (white part). You also have a greater chance of the white pith portion of the peel going bad. The zest lasts and lasts without ill effects. This comes from years of experience in making Italian liquors i.e. Limoncello, etc

Regarding kinds of oranges - try satsumas, valencias or blood oranges.

Speaking from much experience with citrus zest/peels, I would NOT use the entire peel from any citrus. Just use the zest and you will get all the citrusy goodness without the bitterness from the pith (white part). You also have a greater chance of the white pith portion of the peel going bad. The zest lasts and lasts without ill effects. This comes from years of experience in making Italian liquors i.e. Limoncello, etc

Regarding kinds of oranges - try satsumas, valencias or blood oranges.

Thanks for the info. I've always been curious of this. Never tried it in any of my beers, but I do make ALOT of pale ales so maybe I'll throw some in. How many oz do you recommend starting with and where in the fermentation cycle and for how long?

Gracias!

Thanks for the info. I've always been curious of this. Never tried it in any of my beers, but I do make ALOT of pale ales so maybe I'll throw some in. How many oz do you recommend starting with and where in the fermentation cycle and for how long?

Gracias!

with the cascade/orange PA it is said to put them into the boil with about 10 min left. 2oz.

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping someone would say blood oranges since that was what i wanted to use.

I wasnt sure if the pith would create different flavors and wasnt sure if the peel portion would produce the same results if it wasnt grated/zested.

Ahoy hoy,
I use so much orange peel i buy it by the pound. I usually throw in an ounce of bitter and an ounce of sweet, as well as an ounce of coriander seeds, which i crack with my barley grinder. I toss them in with the whirfloc and any hop additions, at the 15 minute point. That has worked very well for me. Your results may vary. Void where prohibited by law....:D

Back