Foam in Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
Hey all,

I tried searching for this but got a lot of topics on starsan (not the issue at hand). We used oxiclean for the first time on our bottles. We made sure to rinse really well (per topics on the forums). When we were filling the bottles with our bottling wand, we noticed that around half of them developed foam on the top of the beer. I am wondering if this could be residual oxiclean, or if it is just caused by the angle of the bottling wand. I hope that is it is the latter as BKH has said that oxiclean in beer tastes nasty. Thanks for the info in advance!

Did you rinse well, then sanitize with star-san? If you used star-san, that would explain the foam. Don't fear the foam! It's ok.

If I misunderstood, and you didn't use star-san, I would say, "Uh oh". :mug:

LOL. Yes, you misunderstood. I used Easy Clean (some sanitizer that came with our brewing kit), no Star San. We purchased some Star San and will be using it next batch. We did try to rinse really well. I smelled the bottles after we rinsed, and they didn't smell at all like oxiclean. :( We should have just rinsed them well with hot water. Oxiclean belongs in the washer... :(

Back