Founders Kentucky Bourbon Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum

Reaction score
Any Michiganders get their fix yet? I tried this last night for the first time, it was the best stout I have ever had. Simply amazing...

Hmmm, I am in Ky and I had never heard of it.

Of course I am the ******* that lives within 50 or so miles of Makers Mark, Four roses, and Knob Creek distilleries, amd I have yet to ask what they do with their used barrels.

cheezydemon said:

Of course I am the ******* that lives within 50 or so miles of Makers Mark, Four roses, and Knob Creek distilleries, amd I have yet to ask what they do with their used barrels.

It's in Michigan. The Bourbon Stout and the Kentucky Breakfast Stout are two different beers too, IIRC.

PseudoChef said:
It's in Michigan. The Bourbon Stout and the Kentucky Breakfast Stout are two different beers too, IIRC.

We get the Breakfast Stout:
Breakfast_4Pack_Side.jpg

and the Kentucky Breakfast Stout:
Kentucky_4Pack_Side.jpg

They have a burbon impy stout listed on ratebeer.com but that appears to have only been a very limited release. One recent taping of a KBS keg on a Sunday AM around here made the paper. If they have another variant on the KBS, I would hope it makes it way out here too!

I just had a bit, it's on the streets now. Kentucky Breakfast Stout is a Michigan beer from Founders Brewery where they take their regular Breakfast Stout and age it in bourbon barrels. Probably my favorite beer of all time. I managed to score a 4 pack but I'm holding on to it until next year. It's even better with age.

To give people an idea of how hard this can be to come by, Discount Drinks in Wyandotte was selling them for $5/12 oz. bottle, limit 2.

Yep, my LHBS had a 4 pack limit, but my LHBS is 10 minutes away from the brewery. It's quite pricey but awesomly delicious!

cheezydemon said:

for what its worth, I toured the Wild Turkey distillery recently and they said they sold the used bourbon barrels for ~$20. I had just had a few samples of their 'high wine', the non oak aged liquor straight out of the still, so I neglected to ask how to acquire one of the barrels.

Nosnum said:
Yep, my LHBS had a 4 pack limit, but my LHBS is 10 minutes away from the brewery. It's quite pricey but awesomly delicious!
Then this must mean you are near GR. I love founder's beers and it's nice to live only 15 miles from it. :rockin:

FSR402 said:
Then this must mean you are near GR. I love founder's beers and it's nice to live only 15 miles from it. :rockin:

Actually I live in Jenison just like you!

Just got word that KBS is back in stock at my local bottle shop!:rockin:

12oz 6pks Avery White Rascal
12oz 4pks & singles Flying Dog Horn Dog "Barleywine"
6pks Blue Point Hoptical Illusion IPA
6pks & singles Brooklyn Chocolate Stout
12oz 4pks Lucifer Belgium
6pks Southern Tier IPA
25oz LaChouffe Nicer "Barleywine"
22oz Avery & Russian River Collaboration Not Letiagation
22oz Avery 2008 Maharaja Double IPA
12oz singles 2006 Dominion Oak Aged Barleywine
12oz singles "Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout"
25oz Allagash Curiex

Plus ST Choklat on draft, Hell Yea!:

March 19th Tap Time will be 11:30am. Next promo not till late April !
Southern Tier : Gemini, Chockalat, Imperial Oat, Unearthly
Brooklyn : Antwerpen Ale, Cuvee d Achouffe
Ommegang : Chocolate Indulegence, Ommegeddon
Blue Point Hoptical Illusion
Middle Ages: Dragon Slayer
South Hampton : Double White Biere DeMars
Climax 10th aniversary Barleywine
Flying Fish Apple Jack Brandy Barrel

I just hit up my local beer store yesterday and got a 4 pack of this for $10 :)

I think I'll get some more.

They also had a bunch of Devil Dancer and cases and cases of Hopslam.

It was the first beer I tried at The Michigan winter beer fest. It is outstanding I had to go back for seconds third's and fourth's! I love it.

brewt00l said:
Had one of those a couple nights ago.

On topic, I have a KBS in the fridge chillin away as we speak.

Verdict: tasty business! I especially enjoyed how well all of the different flavors were blended and balanced together. The noticeable, but not overpowering, slightly woody and smoky bourbon flavor was a nice addition to the already excellent breakfast stout.

hoplobster said:
I just hit up my local beer store yesterday and got a 4 pack of this for $10 :)

I think I'll get some more.

They also had a bunch of Devil Dancer and cases and cases of Hopslam.

A four pack for $10? They are at least $5.00 for a single.

Devil dancer and hopslam are both great too. I was very surprised at how balanced the Devil Dancer was, what an awesome beer.

RICLARK said:
It was the first beer I tried at The Michigan winter beer fest. It is outstanding I had to go back for seconds third's and fourth's! I love it.

YES! I was there as well and I, also, tried it at the Winter Beer Festival. I was drinking spectacular stouts all day, but this was the best at the fest. The KyBS was actually the stout that they did their cerimonial keg tapping with. The GR Mayor was present when they tapped their first keg. You can check out a video of the speech at Kalamabrew's Myspace page. The Michigan Brewing Co. also did an amazing Bourbon Barrel Stout, the name eludes me at the current juncture. I'd say that was my second favorite of the festival. The beers at the festival were all amazing!
I can't wait for the World Expo of Beer in Frakenmuth in May. It's being held on the 16 and 17. Then there is the Michigan Brewers Guild's Summer Beer Festival in Yipsy or Ann Arbor! Hold on to your tokens folks. You can use them at this two-day festival as well! We should get a Homebrewtalk thing going for the Summer Festival that would be great! Put some faces to the people on line from Michigan.

Latest posts

Back