ESB's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
My first ESB was Fosters. Since I've been learning more about better beers I've been trying ESBs when I find them, but two have been ho hum, and the one I had tonight (forgot who it was) was far too bitter.

What ESBs out there that are more common that I might be able to find near San Antonio, TX, which is barely coming around lately, that would be more buscuity like Fosters?

Redhook ESB, Anderson Valley Boont ESB, Red Racer ESB, Deschutes Bachelor ESB, Young's Ram Rod, Real Ale ESB, Alaskan ESB should all be available.

Samuel Smith’s Old Brewery Pale Ale and Bass Ale are on the edge of ESB and pale ale. Could be considered ESB.

Get your hands on some Fuller's ESB. You could have it ordered for you if you can't find it. You might also have some luck at Whole Foods.

Get your hands on some Fuller's ESB. You could have it ordered for you if you can't find it. You might also have some luck at Whole Foods.

This. Fuller's is the quintessential ESB as they invented the beer. Seek out a bar that has it on tap. You won't be disappointed.

This. Fuller's is the quintessential ESB as they invented the beer. Seek out a bar that has it on tap. You won't be disappointed.

+1 on Fuller's. If I can get it at the grocery store here in Tyler, I'm confident that you will be able to find it fairly easily in SAT.

BTW- The best ESB batch kit that I've encountered thus far has been from MoreBeer. Theirs includes honey malt and special roast in addition to crystal. Ferment with either S-04 dry yeast at 63-64*F (finish at 68*F) or Wyeast 1968 London ESB (the "cottage cheese" yeast).

I've eyed that kit.

Thanks for the suggestions! Deschutes, Real Ale, and Alaskan I'm certain ought to be available, hopefully I'll find an ESB.

Check out AHS for ideas. Note that they have a Fuller's clone. This is a search of 8C with some 18C trippel chaff mixed in:
AHS 8C search

Personally I'm a Redhook ESB fan.

Go Spurs Go!

I'm giving Austin Homebrew Supply another plug here as well. I've made this Extra Special Bitter kit and it was a favorite for many that tried it. I thought it was great, but this is not a style I drink much of, so I don't have much experience with it.

Redhook is not that great, in my opinion. I really enjoy Real Ale's Phoenixx Double ESB, but that may be more bold than a normal ESB, considering they call it a "double".

I'm giving Austin Homebrew Supply another plug here as well. I've made this Extra Special Bitter kit and it was a favorite for many that tried it. I thought it was great, but this is not a style I drink much of, so I don't have much experience with it.

I've brewed the Austin ESB. It's currently on tap #2 in my keezer. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not nearly as good as the MoreBeer recipe. My next ESB batch will be AG (E-BIAB) using either Maris Otter, Optic (Fuller's base grain - if I can get it) or Golden Promise along with the same exact specialty grains that MoreBeer includes in their kits. It was that good.

The Morebeer recipe is one I figured I'd work off of. I'll be using S-04 yeast...

This is what I am now considering:

3.9 gal boil w/ 2 gal top off for 5.5 gal yield

4 lbs golden light LME @ FO
3.5 lbs Maris Otter
3/4 lb special roast
3/4 lb victory
1/4 lb crystal 20
1/4 lb crystal 40
1/4 lb honey malt
1 oz Northern Brewer, German (~8.5%) @ 60 mins
1 oz East Kent Goldings (~4.7%) @ 20/5 mins
S-04

Estimated:
1.054/1.014
11* L
34 IBU's
5.3% ABV

I'm hoping the AA's are a little higher than these averages as I was wanting to get closer to 40 IBU's. I suppose I could add another ounce of EKG and split it 3 ways with the other additions...

I'd bump the honey malt up to 1/2lb (otherwise you won't taste it) and reduce both the special roast and victory to 1/4lb each.

With a whopping 1.5lbs (3/4lb each) of Special Roast and Victory in there, the biscuity flavor would be rather pronounced. They both bring many similar characteristics to the party.

Everything else looks delicious.

As I really like Foster's version I figured I'd bring the special roast and victory to those levels. I made an amber with something like Fat Tire in mind with 1/2 lb of special roast and 1/4 lb of victory and found it lacking in a 5.8 gal batch.

Should I adjust each of the ones you mentioned to 1/2 lb and try there?

Another vote for Fullers. One of my favorite beers out there. Love that stuff. For me, gotta travel a bit to get it, bit its awesome.

Should I adjust each of the ones you mentioned to 1/2 lb and try there?

I'd try that first before doing 3/4lb on both. I really like those grains too, but too much of a good thing........................

I made a list on my phone of the various ESB's to look for with Fuller's as my goal, but found none other than the Foster's. And this is a major new grocery store that has a very large and good selection.

I'll be on the lookout when out n about. SWMBO knows where ever she chooses to eat needs to serve good beer so I'll likely find one eventually.

I suppose I could see if they'd order it. I know they carry other beer by brands mentioned.

I ended up bringing home New Belgium's Rampant IIPA instead. Still a win I guess...

Latest posts

Back