Beef in Bourbon Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make some beef stock with just roasted beef bones and none of the usual mirepoix. I still might add some of the herbs though. Anyway, reduce that down for about half a day and use all of it in your wort. That might give you the beef flavor you're looking for.

kiwirevo said:
haha, yeah. I had thought about Pork in Port Porter.

I think it has to be a meat with a lot of flavour. Rabbit in barley wine stout. another name would be Hopped Hopper :p
The only thing to remember is you need a moderate to high alcohol liquid to soak the meat in to kill off any bugs and make some of the fat come out so you can scoop it off.

An alternate process I might try is a long boil with a meat in it and keep adding water so the volume doesn't get too low whilst the meat is cooked and then maybe freeze the wort, remove the fat (or use a low fat meat) then heat it up and do the hop boil. I'll have a new mini fermenter coming on line soon so can give it a trial. Venison might be nice in a Stout.

I'd like to try to put venison in a stout or a porter. I'd call it deer beer or whitetail ale. Have to see how my bowhunt goes next month.....

PapsD said:
I'd like to try to put venison in a stout or a porter. I'd call it deer beer or whitetail ale. Have to see how my bowhunt goes next month.....

Give it a try, and keep us informed

One thing this trial has probably proven is that the original Cock Ale recipe would require a very flavourful rooster or a very high meat to beer ratio.

This time I'm thinking:
Small batch about 4-5 Litres
1.5kg of Maris Otter
20g Northern Brewer (half for bittering half for flavour)
Cubed chuck steak
Probably Woodford reserve since I have that at home.

I'll mash the grain, and once that's done I'll pan sear the chuck, then when cooked I'll deglaze the pan with bourbon and add that to the wort and begin the boil. Then strain all the beef and hops out when it goes into the fermenter

Back