mild to medium grapefruit flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgarcia78147

Reaction score
Can someone help with some advice, i am recently new to all grain brewing and have done extract and partial mash mostly 5 gal reciepes. Just bottle by first all grain from AHS a Anchor Steam Clone witn a San Francisco Yeast Strain. Just tasted a bottle after only 5 days and was a bit bitter like grapefruit, not bad for my 1st batch of all garin the carbonation was still young but what head it did make had very nice laceing. any thoughts to the strong grapefruit flavor, will it calm down with a few more days of aging???:mug:

it should calm down, but what was the recipe? did you use northern brewer hops, or some other, like cascade, columbus, or chinook? also, higher ferm temps can impart grapefruit flavors with some yeasts

Thanks yes it was Northern Brewer 1oz = 60min
1/2oz = last 15min and 1/2oz = 0 min

We had a very cold snap here in South Texas and the room where i fermented was never above 65 degrees

If it's hop-derived, it will definitely reduce. Significantly in the next few weeks and then less after that.

If it's a fermentation temp problem then maybe not. Your ambient temp may have been 65 but you gotta measure the temp of the carboy.

It definitely sounds like at least some of it is from the hopping and bitterness.

bet it wasn't as icy as the cold snap in north texas; we were frozen in for 3 days, but it cleared up in time for the superbowl (i live 5 miles from the stadium). it should tone down pretty good, then. just give it a couple weeks; shouldn't take any more than that

Back