wyeast 1272 american ale II or rogue pacman for brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2-D2

Reaction score
brewing a moose drool brown ale clone tonight. Do I go with the American Ale II or the Pacman yeast? Thoughts?

Went with the 1272. Using washed yeast from an IPA I had brewed earlier this month. Really, really liked how it turned out and think the yeast will be an interesting addition to the Brown Ale.

This may be a little against the grain, but a friend of mine made a hazelnut brown ale and used the Pacman. It turned out very yummy. I've got little experience using the pacman, but I do know the 1272 is a solid yeast choice. I think your good either way, but at this point, I'd suggest the Pacman.

I think the 1272 was a good choice... Big Sky has mentioned they use 1968, which is a very lowly attenuative yeast (I freakin love it). Pacman would be way too attenuative for Moose Drool - it's gotta have that higher FG for some sweetness and thickness.

Are you deliberately trying something different rather than using the 1968?

I think the 1272 was a good choice... Big Sky has mentioned they use 1968, which is a very lowly attenuative yeast (I freakin love it). Pacman would be way too attenuative for Moose Drool - it's gotta have that higher FG for some sweetness and thickness.

Are you deliberately trying something different rather than using the 1968?

Yes and no. I'm just trying to use a yeast that I have on hand to get the job done. I'm not trying to make an exact replica of Moose Drool, just something not too dissimilar.

Back