Convert regular grains to GF grains in recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillV

Reaction score
Hi folks, has there been a general rule for converting regular recipes to GF grains? I have this grain bill for a Celebration ale Sierra Nevada that I long to have again, I know it wont be the same but if I can get darn close I will be a happy man.

11.5 lbs. two-row malt
1 lb. Crystal 40L malt
.5 lb. Carapils malt

I am guessing the two-row can be substituted with pale millet and so will crystal as well?But what about Carapils?

I did not know that there is a CaraMillet Malt from grouse! I guess I can do this will all millet? I am thinking of throwing in some buckwheat for some body? Anyone have any ideas?

To replace 2 row in a recipe I use 85% millet and 15% buckwheat. I do not use malted grains for this base malt but I suspect pale millet malt and pale malted buckwheat would work similarly.

For any specialty malts, I use the closest rice malt equivelent I can get from Eckert.

I will also sometimes add 1/2 or 1 lb of table sugar to an IPA, or 1lb of amber candy syrup to a darker style.

have you used pale malted millet before and do you notice a big difference? I was thinking the same thing that you are doing. Just use regular millet and the rest of the specialty grains order from glutenfreehomebrewing to cut down on costs.

I dont have much experience using pale millet malt as base malt, the advantage in using it is probably a lower gelatinization temperature; alowing for a simpeler/shoter mash.

Using non malted grains is working great for me, but you need 2 enzymes and a 2 step mash that takes a while if you want high efficiency.

I too have been wondering what some of the equivalent gluten free grains would be, particularly the darker ones, to some of the ones ordered from grouse.

I'd like to do these grains. Any recommendations?

Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2,0 SRM)
Chocolate Malt (450,0 SRM)
Special B Malt (180,0 SRM)
Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2,0 SRM)
Black Barley (Stout) (500,0 SRM)

Back