What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always appreciated from afar, a crate that had knots in all the right places, a smooth grain and special attention was paid to the “dove tails”. I always ended up taking home the crate with a rough grain and a few splinters, lap joints, while held together with Sheetrock screws and duct tape.

They all look the same in the dark. Except for the splinters!

Yesterday:
Brewed a Czech lager, used half a pound of saaz, going to ferment it with WLP835 lager X.

Today:

Dry hopped an IPA , Citra comet and cashmere.

Brewed a 3gal batch of best bitter. Fermenting 2 gals with a 6 week old starter of wlp022 Essex ale. The other gallon I pitched WY3655 schelde ale yeast.

Wow, now that sultry picture exposing all of those intimate wood-grain details deserves "Playcrate of the Month" honors.

Please post the complete pictorial biography and the "Playcrate Data Sheet", which lists the birthdate, measurements, turn-ons, and turn-offs.

Playcrate encourages potential Playcrates to send photos with "crate next door" appeal for consideration; others may submit photos of Playcrate candidates, and may be eligible for a finder's fee if their model is selected.

I was going to post pics of the beautiful grain and the knothole on her bottom, but I figured it wasn't appropriate for all audiences.

Last edited:
Ordered a 12 inch bazooka for my smaller brew kettle for small 3 gallon batches/BIAB which I have not done for 4 years. Gonna give 5 gal batches a rest till my next imperial stout or wee heavy. Ordered some female npt with internal threads. Hard to find. Anyone know of where to get SS or brass 1/2 inch male npt with external threads on one side with 1/2 female end with internal threads at least 1.5-2 inches long? Thanks!

Ordered a 12 inch bazooka for my smaller brew kettle for small 3 gallon batches/BIAB which I have not done for 4 years. Gonna give 5 gal batches a rest till my next imperial stout or wee heavy. Ordered some female npt with internal threads. Hard to find. Anyone know of where to get SS or brass 1/2 inch male npt with external threads on one side with 1/2 female end with internal threads at least 1.5-2 inches long? Thanks!

if Bobby doesn’t have it, it probably can’t be had in my experience.....
https://www.brewhardware.com/

The Final Absolution clone batch got moved to the 60 degree basement since it's done carbonating.
Formulated my next Belgian Tripel recipe (another shot at Final Absolution) and got the ingredients.
Drank an Old Ale (1 of 2) to see if it was carbonated. It's good enough but I'm going to let that sit in the 70 degree office/bottle conditioning room for another week. Still need to try another from the batch 2 of 2 of the Old Ale but I'll probably not do that for at least another week.

Check out Amazon. Search for stainless pipe fittings. I usually get my fittings there, but I go for 3/4".
Yeah I get most of my fitting there and have been looking but can't find them. I know they make them cause I've seen them in cooler kits. I just don't need the other parts I already have them. Thank you!

One of these?
A39D7D10-4A4F-4448-AFFE-114118A25E6F.jpeg

https://www.morebeer.com/products/stainless-adapter-12-fpt-mpt.html

Better than pouring brewed in the last min of the boil?

I think you will pull more astringencies and lose flavor from the high temps. I did a coffee stout a couple years ago with adding cold brew coffee to the keg. I will always continue to do it that way. Cold brew coffee isn’t as astringent as hot coffee, plus I think it has more flavors depending on the beans. Just my two cents.

I think you will pull more astringencies and lose flavor from the high temps. I did a coffee stout a couple years ago with adding cold brew coffee to the keg. I will always continue to do it that way. Cold brew coffee isn’t as astringent as hot coffee, plus I think it has more flavors depending on the beans. Just my two cents.
Well, I happen to know a guy who does amazing coffee beans so I was going to use some

Finally got more BLC, so cleaned a couple kegs and the lines (even though they already had other beers on).

Headed off to Mozambique next week, got the word today we got the contract. Will be gone for approx one month, trying to be back for Christmas. Need to start researching Mozambique beer!

Maputo. Port city near South African border. Might do a (beer related) side trip to Johannesburg.
Mozambique makes good beer, light and dark. Just Google it! Happy trails!

Decided I'm gonna make a sake / beer hybrid. First, I have a pound of sorachi ace hops to play around with, so making an anchor steam knock off with sorachi ace and the anchor yeast strain to figure out the hop taste. Gonna do this as a partial mash tonight.

Second, will revisit making sake using this recipe. I made it before using Bob Taylor's derivative of Fred Eckhart's recipe. It was too much work. This one looks much easier and will probably turn out decently.

Third, will make a moto and the first rice addition, then add the anchor steam knock off above for the hybrid experiment.

I'm a seasonal brewer. It's getting to lager temperature now in Seattle, and so I'm playing with ~1040 Steam beer and some Czech styles. Next summer will be Kviek and English ales in-between.

Brewed a Caribou Slobber extract kit (partial boil) with 5.25 gallons into the primary fermenter. It is a Moose Drool (by Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula, Montana) clone.

Dried the 12 oz. spent grains in the oven to use later for baking stuff or as an addition to the traditional breakfast smoothie that I drink 8 days a week.

Finished the clean-up and now it's time to relax and have a home brew or 2. Yay!! [emoji481]

Brewed a Caribou Slobber extract kit (partial boil) with 5.25 gallons into the primary fermenter. It is a Moose Drool (by Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula, Montana) clone.
[emoji481]

I've always heard that kit is really good. I need to try it myself. My friend bought one back in like January but never brewed it. I've debated giving him a couple bucks for it but I'm a little wary of how long it has sat in his house at this point.

All my ferment chambers are full, just checking air locks to still if they are holding pressure and checked gravity on a couple.

Sampled beers from a beer experiment I did a couple weeks back, split batch where I dry hopped one for 2.5days and one for 5 days. Not over impressed with the aroma of either for 6oz of hops but the 5day dry hopped beer was only slight stronger. Flavor is more different though, the 5 day hop is noticeable more bitter and there is a spicy bite.

Milled grain for tomorrow's WF lager batch, and brown-bagged the crystal malt I made this week. Tomorrow will keg up the Blonde brewed last weekend (yes it's done, will finish out in the keg) to give me room for both batches being brewed this weekend.

2nd iteration of Northern Brewer Blonde turned out SO much better than the first! Really digging on using Comet for bittering, it's a lot more subtle, and the lighter late additions of NB give it a nice kick. Been crashing a couple days, almost perfectly clear and will get kegged today. Six days grain to keg? Hell yes! It will get some more conditioning time in the keg if I can keep my hands off it (fat chance).

Just bought the materials to put a collar on my freezer to turn it into a fully-functional beer distribution apparatus. I’m using the model posted by Mongoose33, Easy-Peasy Keezer Build.

Looking forward to getting delivery of 4 kegs I ordered as well. It’s been a busy Saturday.

>5 hour brewday this morning, from running in the strike to final cleanup; gotta love fall/winter brewing, with ground water temperature so cold that my little 30-plate chiller gets the job done in one pass, and it's so cold out here it pushes me to get everything done faster so I can get back in the house where it's warm. WF lager in the ferment fridge waiting on the new-ish S23 to take off; this was a packet I got from Amazon that was expired so did a vitality starter for it, should take off in about 24 hours. Not worried if it takes a bit longer, sanitation is on point and won't have any issues. And have some slurry in the fridge to add if it decides to plotz on me. Tonight when I get home from dinner date with Mom will mill grain for tomorrow's House Amber; finally got the grain-bag spout attached to the grain mill stand so won't have flour & dust everywhere.

Back