I did something impulsive and stupid. Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polaris96

Reaction score
ok this is my second batch. and my first mashing in.

single infusion mash with a malt bill (intentionally) placed somewhere between IPA and english brown ale (crunched many recipes on a spreadsheet and modified the averages based on the advice in Designing Great Beers)

Needed and calculated an OG of 1.063 and mashed to 1.041. Think I didn't have enough Volume in the recipe to properly sparge the mash. I ran out of wort volume before I had clear sparge water.

I said "oh! I can fix this with some DME"

so I stirred in 3# of briess pale ale and was happy with the 1.060 it yielded after a very vigorous stirring. I pitched a double load of S-04 and was dancing a jig as the bubbles started and got very aggressive.

...Then I remembered that I didn't COOK the DME wort before I pitched.

This is going to yield 18 points of "non-boiled" malt to a 6 gallon batch.

Anybody know what's gonna happen next? will it work or should I just cut my losses before I even rack to the secondary?

That is why it is important to check your gravity preboil, that way you can adjust if need be.

That being said, if the water was still hot and it was a sealed bag of DME I think you'll be fine. Your IBUs wont be what you were planning though, but it will probably still be good.

Keep doing your jig friend.

You dont need to boil DME, you just do it to "clean" it. Straight from a new bag it will be fine in most cases.

Edit: by need i mean its relative. Break material etc etc

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I boiled the grain wort, bittered for 30min and flavoured for 10.

I just forgot to check the gravity before the boil.

Then I forgot to decoct the wort after I panic'ed and and added DME.

So the wort is hopped and "partially boiled", I guess

I think your ok with not boiling your dme.If it was dumped in at flameout alot of people do this anyway.for late additions.So you checked your gravity after it cooled to what temp? Kinda like sanitizing,pasturizing is just a way to make shure just in case type of thing that is unlikely but possible of unwanted organizims.

yeah. unfortunately, I dumped it at pitching temp - at/about 100F. Definitely not hot enough to sanitize the DME.

I did, however, open a fresh packet of DME and I'm freakish about using aseptic technique (some experience in the medical community)

If the DME was contaminated in the bag I guess I'm screwed. Otherwise, I think I'll be ok. willing to bet money that environmental pathogens were minimal when I dumped, stirred and pitched.

I was mostly worried that some kind of sugar decomposition in the DME wort would require boiling. I guess I was "overthinking" now that I consider DME and LME are produced by boiling :)

ah well, I'm still learning! Thanks again everyone

Pathogens cannot live in alcohol. Its not advised to pitch yeast at 100 also.Is this what you did? I pitched at 80 my first few brews and had to wait a while for a wine-beer to turn into a beer-beer.

I can't believe how quick everybody has been responding. Thanks again, all :)

I probably pitched about 85-90F. Fermentation has been pretty good - vigorous for about 24h then decreasing to a gentle bubble. It's been about 60h, now, and she was still chugging along as I left for work.

Last gravity I measured was 1.050 from an OG of 1.061, so I think I'm good, fermentation-wise.

You all have given me a real shot in the arm regarding this batch. I'll let everybody know how it turns out and I'm now cautiously optimistic :tank:

That brew actually worked out very well. Appreciate all the good advice and it made me sleep easier while I waited for it to mature.

Back