1st sour started, but is 25 IBU too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghpeel

Reaction score
Just finished primary fermentation on my first sour beer, a Belgian Amber fermented with Wyest Lambic Blend and some Orval dregs later (hopefully). However, I didn't really adjust my hop additions:

1.75oz Hallertaur 4.8% at 60 min: 25 IBU or so.

Here's the rest of the recipe:

8lb Pilsner
3lb Munich
.5lb Special B
.5lb Flaked barley
2oz carafa III dehusked

Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend (3278) - make starter with 1 qt wort.
2 bottles Orval dregs, added at a month or so
2lbs dried cherries (optional)

So now I'm reading a few folks saying to keep sour IBU's in the 10-12 range, and I'm double that. So should I do anything to correct this issue now, or just wait and see?

I'd probably prefer to scrap the plans to age this beer 6 months or so if its going to be too bitter in the end. I'll just drink it young as an acidic double, and try again by pitching a new beer on this cake.

if I'm not mistaken, ( and I might well be), but I believe that the higher the IBU's the more difficulty the lacto has at getting a foothold in the fermentation process. Brett doesn't seem to be as affected by the higher IBU's as I've read of plenty of folks making all brett IPA's to no ill effect whatsoever.

IMHO, that isn't a very high rate of IBU's, it's just at the absolute limit of where you'd want it to be. I would just give it time, as cliche as that sounds.

Worst case scenario, build up a starter and repitch?

Agreed, Russian River does a couple sours up into the 20s with fine results. Pedio is fine at those IBUs, so you should still get plenty of sourness. 24 IBUs is also low enough that the flavors shouldn't clash (especially since a year from now you'll be down to about half that).

Thanks guys. BTW Oldsock, I really dig your blog. I've been reading it every now and again since you first showed up on a Basic Brewing podcast. I definitely plan to start using your techniques for sour beers.

Back