Too late for Campden if I already pitched the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I overlooked adding the campden tablet in my water (extract kit) and just realized it after I pitched the yeast. It's been about an hour now, so is it too late to do any good? Or should I go ahead and crush a tablet and mix it in? I had one bandaid beer and really don't want another.

half tab in your 5 gallons should still be safe for the yeast. SHOULD. It would be about 1/10 of the recommended dose for killing baddies.

And it will have the un-bandaid effect still.

Okay, I did a little searching on hydrogen sulfide. Looks like I may get a stinky brew instead of bandaid. I see copper is good for removing hydrogen sulfide during the boil, but what about after fermentation? Would running it through a copper coil do the trick?

If winemakers use the full dose in an active wine fermentation and don't get lasting off flavors, you should be fine with your small dose. Right? Is there something I'm missing here?

Also, there shouldn't me much of a difference adding the tablet pre-pitching and 1 hour after pitching...

Back