Simple batch sparge question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmoov

Reaction score
Hey all,

I hope someone can clear this up for me. When batch sparging do you let your first running go till the grain bed is dry or do you drain just till the top of the bed and then add your sparge water?

Thanks

I drain it dry and then I add my first batch sparge - I do two. I normally get in the 80% eff. range.

Cheers

I run it till its dry, but I slow down the pump (if you have one, if not the premise is the same) a bit so the grain bed doesn't compact too much to the false bottom. Then when adding the first sparge I mix the grain again and reset the grain bed.

I drain it as dry as possible, then I tip up my cooler towards the braid/valve to drain even more. I want to rinse and collect as much sugar as possible. Draining completely on first runnings lets you figure exactly how much sparge water to add so that there's none left in the tun to dilute the runnings.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll be joining the ranks of greater men new years weekend when I take on my first all grain with Ed Worts Haus Pale.

:mug:

Haus Pale was my second All Grain - Centenial Blonde was my first :)

Remember - relax and have fun with it - do try to take notes though cause the day will be over before you know it.

Cheers.

I drain it dry then sparge. I like to add my sparge water and mix the grains up again, then let it all sit for 10-15 min. My thinking is this would allow me to pull as much as possible from the grains. some people do a double sparge, but i do a single and have gotten between 75-80%

Back