My first "extended" primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just been following HBT for a couple months, but I tell you, I've learned a LOT in that short time!

I just racked my AG ESB to the secondary, and stole enough to get a final gravity reading (and a li'l taste :fro:). Just for grins, after I read the gravity (1.014 from 1.056 OG) I poured the beer from the tube into a pint glass. It was unbelievably clear! I may be converted to the primary-only crowd yet.

Anyway, kudos to HBT and all the experts here! :mug: Maybe someday I'll be one too!

Honestly, the only reason I rack to a 5-gal secondary is that it frees up the 6-gal primary for more beer! I'll never buy more 5-gal carboys, that's for sure. =)

I would agree with you. If I hadn't JUST racked it into a secondary I might be bottling tonight. Probably this weekend some time.....

next time skip the secondary. It's really unnecessary and unless your super careful the transfer will stir in oxygen to the beer ultimately leading to a stale taste down the road. Bottle directly from the primary.

Extended was 22 days. Normally I'd go 7-10 days, then maybe 2 weeks in a secondary to clear things up, but oddly it never got spectacularly clear. At least not THIS clear!

Back