Fermentation Temp Worries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I haven't yet ordered my equipment but I am trying to think ahead by measuring different rooms to see what room may be the coolest to ferment in.

I have a couple side rooms in my basement (one being a dirt floor) which seems much cooler but I am unable to get a good reading on my weather station air temp meter that I have set up. The other room seems to get down to about 73F but its around 78F during the day (at this time of year).

I'm planning on trying a Pumpkin Ale as my first batch when I order my things (hopefully Friday). I'm reading the instructions that were posted on Midwest about the kit but they don't mention what temps to store the Pumpkin ale. I'm guessing that I am going to need to put it in a tote or some kind of water bath possibly switching out the ice bottles?

I'm also guessing after I bottle it what temps I should keep a Pumpkin ale at?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

A water bath should do the trick. A cooler might actually work a little better. Most yeasts work well at 65-68 degrees.

A pumpkin ale may take some time to be drinkable so if you are in any kind of a hurry it might be best to start with a brown or pale ale.

Bottle condition for 3 weeks at 70 and all should be well.

A water bath should do the trick. A cooler might actually work a little better. Most yeasts work well at 65-68 degrees.

A pumpkin ale may take some time to be drinkable so if you are in any kind of a hurry it might be best to start with a brown or pale ale.

Bottle condition for 3 weeks at 70 and all should be well.

I didn't have the beer worked out yet I just know i like pumpkin ale, oktoberfest, scottish ale (from the local brewery). I can't stomach stouts (at least the ones ive had) or beers that taste like grapefruit from the hops!! :D Are the Scottish ales any easier you think?

I will have to look at getting a cooler but your right that could hold the temp down (even if its open) because of the insulation.
I want to get a few (successful) extracts under my belt and I can't wait to try AG.

If I can get a temp reading in the dirt-floored room I think the temp is cooler down there actually which would be better for the fermentation process.

Thanks for the reply

A Scottish or Irish Ale would be a great start. I think dealing with pumpkin might be a lot to ask with a first beer. Brown Ales and Cream Ales are also a possibility.

Use the cooler room, friend. I don't understand the problem in reading a thermometer in that room.

I am fortunate that my basement stays cool 63 - 68 year around.

Use the cooler room, friend. I don't understand the problem in reading a thermometer in that room.

I am fortunate that my basement stays cool 63 - 68 year around.

Sorry I was falling asleep as i wrote that.

Basically to measure the temp I am using my weather station so I can get an idea of what the air temp is down in the different rooms of the basement. The weather station is wireless and therefore wasn't transmitting up through the floor for some reason.

So a better way would be to place a glass of water down there for a few hours and then measure it with some kind of thermometer? I will eventually need to invest in a decent thermometer because, if i recall, the midwest kit doesn't come with one. I should try and sneak this in on my order: Dial Thermometer :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

My house has no basement or AC capabilities. The daily temperatures vary from 70 to 85 during the day and my beers in the past have still been turning out pretty good. But as most homebrewers, I'm constantly in the pursute of improving my homebrew any way I can. Not too long ago, I acquired a little plastic storage tub and started fermenting my first beer in it filled with water. I switch out two ice filled bottles morning and evening and the temperature of the water fluctuates between 65 and 70 degrees which is huge improvement for me. In this kind of situation (ie using water a heat dispersing medium), I've heard people say the beer is actually 2-3 degrees above the temp of the water. So we're talking 68 to 73 in my case. It's still not the golden spot of 65 to 68 as mentionned above, but its still much closer now. I definetely recommend you get the plastic tub. It was only 5 bucks at Target. And then, you can buy 5 gallons of apple juice, ferment a batch of edwort's apfelwein, and then use the plastic bottles as your ice bottles. I think the only way to do better than that is to upgrade to a refridgerator equipped with an external temperature controller to hit the sweet spot. That's my 2 cents.

My house has no basement or AC capabilities. The daily temperatures vary from 70 to 85 during the day and my beers in the past have still been turning out pretty good. But as most homebrewers, I'm constantly in the pursute of improving my homebrew any way I can. Not too long ago, I acquired a little plastic storage tub and started fermenting my first beer in it filled with water. I switch out two ice filled bottles morning and evening and the temperature of the water fluctuates between 65 and 70 degrees which is huge improvement for me. In this kind of situation (ie using water a heat dispersing medium), I've heard people say the beer is actually 2-3 degrees above the temp of the water. So we're talking 68 to 73 in my case. It's still not the golden spot of 65 to 68 as mentionned above, but its still much closer now. I definetely recommend you get the plastic tub. It was only 5 bucks at Target. And then, you can buy 5 gallons of apple juice, ferment a batch of edwort's apfelwein, and then use the plastic bottles as your ice bottles. I think the only way to do better than that is to upgrade to a refridgerator equipped with an external temperature controller to hit the sweet spot. That's my 2 cents.

Awesome. I will just have to do that - it seems it would *work* assuming Im not a ******* and forget to swap out the bottles! :D

I keep hearing a LOT about Edwort's Apfelwein. Does it taste like apple juice or something still? Very interested in trying that out someday.

Like I mentioned though I am weary of drinking TOO much as I am on a low carb diet and either one will be loaded with carbs. I've come to see that this hobby may not be as feasible as I would like. I think I am going to continue with it but I will just have to have a lot of friends over :D :D I still want to brew and I can always taste test as thats not too big of a deal.

Thank you for the reply and the great suggestions.

Awesome. I will just have to do that - it seems it would *work* assuming Im not a ******* and forget to swap out the bottles! :D

I keep hearing a LOT about Edwort's Apfelwein. Does it taste like apple juice or something still? Very interested in trying that out someday.

Like I mentioned though I am weary of drinking TOO much as I am on a low carb diet and either one will be loaded with carbs. I've come to see that this hobby may not be as feasible as I would like. I think I am going to continue with it but I will just have to have a lot of friends over :D :D I still want to brew and I can always taste test as thats not too big of a deal.

Thank you for the reply and the great suggestions.

I think all of us homebrewer's have to find a way to not drink too much. If you're concerned about carbs you may want to focus on wine, or when making beer use yeasts with the highest levels of attenuation within reason.

If you're counting carbs for diabetes or something you can calculate them. In such a case though you'll really want to limit yourself. I try to have no more than 2 pints at any occasion. It works well because it's killed my tolerance, and who doesn't love a 2 pint buzz?

I think all of us homebrewer's have to find a way to not drink too much. If you're concerned about carbs you may want to focus on wine, or when making beer use yeasts with the highest levels of attenuation within reason.

If you're counting carbs for diabetes or something you can calculate them. In such a case though you'll really want to limit yourself. I try to have no more than 2 pints at any occasion. It works well because it's killed my tolerance, and who doesn't love a 2 pint buzz?

Haha that's very true. As far as I know im not diabetic but I do weigh a very hefty 368lbs. I started at about 380 though so I'm making progress. Wife is worried that I'll brew and drink it all!!! lol. I can see where shes coming from though.

Back