Corney post removal problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OMJ

Reaction score
I recently got 4 ball lock corneys a 20# c02 tank for $100 off cl. I tried to disassemble the kegs and 2 came apart fine and the other 2 I cant get the gas post off. The one fits a 15/16ths socket but I cant get it to budge and the other is too small for the 15/16ths socket but too big for a 7/8ths. I have tried adjustable wrenches and channel lock pliers but cant get the to budge at all.

Here are some pics of the posts

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

any ideas as to how to get these off so I can replace the orings and poppets would be appreciated.

For the ones that won't budge, turn them upside down in hot water and let them soak for a bit. After that you should be able to get them off. Dried Soda or Beer is like glue.

As for the posts, I would think they'd be either 7/8 or 11/16.

After following the soaking advice above.
sandwich the post between woodscraps in a vice. then spin the keg

They look like a 12 point 7/8" deep socket would work. The 12 points is the key to getting it to fit over the star edged nut. Keep Crescent Wrenches, Channel Locks, Pipe Wrenches and Vise Grips away from your keg posts or you will likely ruin them. It will be more expensive to replace the posts than it would be to buy an entire new keg. There's no need to resort to extreme measures to remove the posts. Do the hot water soak to loosen the dried soda and they should come right off. Worst case scenario, you might have to use a breaker bar or a cheater on your wrench. A broomstick through the keg handles will give you something pull on to counter your pull on the wrench. Sometimes tapping the wrench with a hammer to simulate an impact wrench effect will work.

Go to lowes and get the deep socket that will fit it (home depot doesn't sell it,) I got mine a week or two back it was like 6 bucks, I am like 80% sure you need 11/16. I wouldn't fuss with wrenches, vise grips, or anything that is a single point of contact.

You may want to consider a cheap harbor freight battery powered impact and the appropriate 12 point sockets. I had a couple from northern brewer that I couldn't get off any other way. I you save up a bunch of kegs to clean at once this is a great tool to make quick work of removing posts.

thanks for all the help. I had tried soaking them in hot water with no luck but I am going to try and get a 12 point wrench and try it again

12pt wrench, keg lying on its side and a hammer.

So I soaked them both in 150+ degree water for about a half hour then used the 22mm 12 pt wrench(which fits perfectly) and hammered it. Still nothing on either of them.

I had the same problem. I solved it by slipping a 8 foot long pipe over the 12 point wrench and had SWMBO move it while I held on to the keg. Nothing like leverage to solve a problem. :D

I had the same problem. I solved it by slipping a 8 foot long pipe over the 12 point wrench and had SWMBO move it while I held on to the keg. Nothing like leverage to solve a problem. :D

+1

truthfully, I was totally in favor of the vise method until I read this. Using leverage against something produces a ridiculously large amount of force--as long as you got the room to work & a strong lever.

I'd use the vise method if it were handy or I hadn't a lever though.

+1

truthfully, I was totally in favor of the vise method until I read this. Using leverage against something produces a ridiculously large amount of force--as long as you got the room to work & a strong lever..

yeah, I did it outside and SWMBO had no idea what I was doing. I just said "walk in this direction" while I held the keg firm and it popped loose. Of course this was after trying all the above recommendations.

If you are replacing the o rings anyway just use a propane or map torch heat the post a few seconds test heat again . Don't need it cherry red just get her hot . I have done this s a few times. I am a little reluctant to use a cheater/ breaker bar on a corny as the SS is rather thin

Tried again with hotter water and was able to get them off. Thanks for the help guys. Glad I didnt have to go out and buy a 8 ft pipe since I didnt have one laying around

Back