Yeast Strain Interchangeability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroovePuppy

Reaction score
So as well as bottling my Nut Brown on Saturday (I think I already mentioned this in 20 threads :D) I plan to have a go at harvesting and washing the yeast cake from the primary. It's a Wyeast 1098.

My current plans for brewing are to do a Hob Goblin which calls for Nottingham then probably an Oakham JHB that calls for US-05. If I use the 1098 for these will it make a significant difference? Obviously I want to make use of the yeast but I don't want to select my next brew on the basis of saving a few dollars.

I studied the Wyeast site and others to compare attenuation, fermentation temps, alcohol tolerance, etc. but I don't know what I'm looking for. None of the differences (for these yeasts at least) seem earth shatteringly significant. But that's why I'm a noob. :rockin:

Thanks for replying but that doesn't quite answer my question. I don't want to find equivalent yeasts per se. What I want to know is can I just use the lovely 1098 I'll be harvesting from my Nut Brown instead of those listed in the recipe without major result differences?

Ya, all three are fairly flavor neutral so I would not expect huge 9or even barely noticeable) differences.

Ya, all three are fairly flavor neutral so I would not expect huge 9or even barely noticeable) differences.

I'm going to have to disagree with this with comparison to S-05.

The strain you're using is going to ferment drier and have some good esters characteristic of the English style - more so than S-05 which is a neutral American style yeast similar to White Labs 001 or Wyeast 1056.

It should be somewhat comparable to Notty, however.

+1 on this.

The strain you're using is going to ferment drier and have some good esters characteristic of the English style - more so than S-05 which is a neutral American style yeast similar to White Labs 001 or Wyeast 1056.

's funny since the US-05 is for Oakham JHB, an English Bitter. Of course that could be the distinguishing characteristic of the brew.

OK, I think I'll try my harvested yeast in the Hob Goblin and go from there. Thanks for the inputs.

Back