Slightly Burnt Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewmaster

Reaction score
I seem to have slightly burnt some of the malt extract for my last batch. This is my second batch, I'm not overly concerned about this, however I assume it will give my beer a much more bitter flavor. Much of the burnt stuff has formed sediment. The 5 gallon batch is fermenting at the moment. I figured I would taste it while I rack it to the secondary fermenter, if all the bad malt forms sediment I'm hoping this batch will be salvageable. If not I guess I'm just going to dump it, if this batch is overly bitter is there anything I can do with it?

Its tough to judge bitterness before the beer is bottled. I know from my brews that bitterness fades with time.....hop bitterness that is. Bitterness from burnt malt not sure, I'm not even sure it would leave a bitter taste it might just leave a burnt taste? I would only dump that batch if its just really really unpleasant to drink. I assume you were using extract.....Was it extract from a can? Was it already hopped? How bad did you scortch it, just a little bit at the bottom or did you burn it really bad. If your able to drink it without spitting it out then save it. Was it a strong beer, what kind of beer is it?

i think bitter is the wrong word. it will actually have a burnt flavor, kind of roasted. bitterness shouldn't be affected, right peeps?

...and you'll have a darker color

Back