Yeast starter questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nervousbrewer

Reaction score
So I made a 1L starter (1040) on Wednesday night and on Friday night, after midnight, put the starter in the fridge to help is separate so I could decanter before I pitched. My plan was to brew on Saturday. I checked the starter Saturday morning, around 9am, and saw that there was a good layer of yeast on the bottom, but there was a lot of yeast still in suspension. I usually follow this same schedule and seem to remember the starter separating out quicker.

So my question are:

Did I not give the starter enough time on the stir plate?

If not, do I just risk not growing as many yeast as I could have?

Have I done any damage to the yeast if it put it in the fridge to early?

My plan right now is to brew on Sunday instead and let the starter sit in the fridge, hoping it will separate more by then so I can decanter and pitch the starter.

Thanks.

Hmm, that won't hurt the yeast or anything? Do I need to worry about contamination?

If I bring the temp back up and pitch the whole thing, should I wait and do that tomorrow since I am brewing tomorrow

I'm making a Dubble. I was trying to avoid throwing it the starter wort.

I have never followed your process and I don't own a stir plate. I generally start my starter 48 hours before i'll be ready to pitch, and I generally pitch the whole thing. I never chill it first. Your equipent should always be sanitized when making a yeast starter, so an infection should not be a concern if that has been done properly.

I just made a yeast starter out of corn sugar... It goes against everything everybody has said but hell, if it doesn't work I can always re-pitch.

I am guessing though that the propagation won't be harmed. As soon as the yeast finds my wort, it will be like a fat kid at a birthday party, can't stop eating the cake.

The problem with making a starter with simple sugars is that the yeast will lose the ability to metabolize maltose (which is mostly what their food will be in your wort).

Back