Blueberry Cider (Tusch's Recipie with minor changes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quesplosive

Reaction score
I used Tusch's recipie.

Primary Recipe is as follows:
4.75 gallons Apple Cider
2 lbs. Frozen Blueberries
Whole pack of Craisins
2 lbs Light Brown Sugar
2 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
Cider Activator Wyeast
1lb of white sugar
4 cans of blueberry pie filler

SG for Primary 1.078

Secondary:
added 5 pounds of blueberries
62oz blueberry juice
.5 gallon of apple cider
1 can of blueberry pie filler

Gravity at transfer to secondary .990.

My question is why did my yeast go so far? I just transfered so i do not have a final gravity. Is there is a chance that this will start back up and drop further? And what could i use to back sweeten if needed? Tasted like wine when i sampled. I was looking for a sweeter taste, but I just had shoulder surgery and couldnt get to it quicker to take it off the yeast. Lol Im hurting now but had to transfer it.

I used Tusch's recipie.

Primary Recipe is as follows:
4.75 gallons Apple Cider
2 lbs. Frozen Blueberries
Whole pack of Craisins
2 lbs Light Brown Sugar
2 Cans Apple Juice Concentrate
Cider Activator Wyeast
1lb of white sugar
4 cans of blueberry pie filler

SG for Primary 1.078

Secondary:
added 5 pounds of blueberries
62oz blueberry juice
.5 gallon of apple cider
1 can of blueberry pie filler

Gravity at transfer to secondary .900.

My question is why did my yeast go so far? I just transfered so i do not have a final gravity. Is there is a chance that this will start back up and drop further? And what could i use to back sweeten if needed? Tasted like wine when i sampled. I was looking for a sweeter taste, but I just had shoulder surgery and couldnt get to it quicker to take it off the yeast. Lol Im hurting now but had to transfer it.

It's very common for cider to go to .990. (It's not possible to go to .900!) Look at your hydrometer- the top reading is .990.

It will finish dry, as wine yeast will generally finish dry. And yes, if you add more fermentables without stabilizing, it'll start fermenting again unless you overwhelm the yeast (which makes hot sweet rocket fuel).

If you want to sweeten after fermentation, you'll need to stabilize the cider with sorbate and campden once it's completely clear and no longer dropping any lees.

Yea thats what I meant. It was brought up to me in another thread. Thats where it is though. I will back sweeten it to try to make it less dry with a nonfermentable suger because ide like to sparkle it. My fear is if I put the campden tabs that I will lose that aspect.

Back