Cooling the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drycreek

Reaction score
I do partial mash brews using bottled spring water. The boil is usually ~3 gallons, and then I top it off to 5.25 gallons in the primary bucket.

I have a pre-chiller and immersion chiller that I use to cool my wort, which usually takes about 15 minutes to get from boiling to 76F.

I was thinking that since I use bottled water, I could potentially refrigerate a gallon, and then add it to the wort as it's cooling to help speed up the cooling process. Maybe once the wort hits the upper 80s, I could slowly add some refrigerated bottled water to get it down to the mid-70s. Is there anything wrong with doing this?

thats what i do. I actually throw two whole gallons in the freezer the morning that i start my brew day and by the time its wort cooling time, i use my immersion chiller as well as those really cold gallons and BOOM (literally, there is an explosion) my wort is chilled to ~70.

nothing wrong with that. You can even do a little math to figure out how much cold water you need so that you don't cool the wort down too much.

Do you have that formula JLem?

Sure thing - it's really just a weighted average.

Final Temp = (Volume of wort x temperature of wort) + (Volume of cool water x temp of cool water) divided by total volume

SO if you have 2 gallons of 120F wort and top off with 3.5 gallons of 40F water, you'll end up with 5.5 gallons at 69F.

Give or take a few degrees to account for some heat absorbed by the fermenter.

Sweet, I'm gonna try this today with a brew. I expect to have it chilled in under 10 mins.

Final Temp = (Volume of wort x temperature of wort) + (Volume of cool water x temp of cool water) divided by total volume

SO if you have 2 gallons of 120F wort and top off with 3.5 gallons of 40F water, you'll end up with 5.5 gallons at 69F.

Very helpful, thanks!

Thanks for this. I throw my water in the freezer too so this helps a lot.

Back