My first recipe advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirlouie

Reaction score
so i tinkered with an ipa recipe i once saw. tell me what you guys think of this and how it will turn out. its only a 2.13 gallon batch and I'm using a mr. beer keg for this

2.8 lb Alexander Pale Malt Extract -LME - 60 min boil
1.2LB Muntuns Light LME - 30 min boil
.5lb munitions dark crystal malt - steeped for 90 min

.5oz centennial Hops - 60min
.5oz Kent Golding - 35min
.25oz liberty - 10 min
.25oz liberty dry hopped

Add the Muntons LME at 15 minutes.

You only need to steep the crystal for 30-60 minutes.

Move Liberty to 10 minutes.

Move Kent Golding to flameout.

Dryhop with at least 1/2 oz.

thanks.
what exactly does the late boil addition of the lme do? i never really understood that

It basically gives you slightly more hop utilization and slightly less melanoidin formation. Both are usually good things for a pale, hop forward ale...especially American IPAs. Of course your beer will be more like an English IPA. Muntons is a great maltster, but I highly recommend using their Extra Light DME going forward. I continue to use it a base for my partial mash American IPAs.

Like Bob said it helps with hops because of there being less sugars in the wort. Also less time for the malt to carmelize so it stays lighter in color. Agree with the dry hopping too.

so should i also add the pale malt later, or at least half of it for the last 15 min also

No.

If you're using 4 lbs. of extract, I would say as much as 2 lbs. and as little as 1/2 lb. extract can be used late. That's a good rough guideline.

ok thanks for all the input.
what about all the hops, is it going to come out very strong considering its a small batch?

sirlouie said:
ok thanks for all the input.
what about all the hops, is it going to come out very strong considering its a small batch?

I would dry hop with the centennial and move that liberty to the 60, centennial will give you better aroma

I would dry hop with the centennial and move that liberty to the 60, centennial will give you better aroma

i don't want it to get that flowery grassy aroma that comes from dry hopping sometimes, and i think centennial would be stronger. does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back