Dumb Question (really is)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I was drinking away last night on christmas thinking to myself what would you call a 3rd carboy you rack to?? You have a Primary and a Secondary. What do you call the third one?? A thirdindary, threeandary, triandary, tripplandary??? Maybe this should be in drunken ramblings, but im sober now and was already in this area of posts. Anyone??? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller.........?

Actually its not a dumb question, as it is actually called "tertiary", which basically means:

Tertiary fermentation: third fermentation. After secondary fermentation the beer is racked into another fermentor and the solids are left behind. The beer is then allowed to ferment further.

See? Drinking makes you think!!!

I knew I asked a good question. Thanks for the useless knowlege. I dont have anything to ponder over at work all day now. Im going to have to stump myself again.

Tony said:
Actually its not a dumb question, as it is actually called "tertiary", which basically means:

Tertiary fermentation: third fermentation. After secondary fermentation the beer is racked into another fermentor and the solids are left behind. The beer is then allowed to ferment further.

See? Drinking makes you think!!!

Ahh, I do recall reading that now. I plan on racking my wit to a tertiary :) since this bugger has been sitting on lots of trub from the secondary as well and probably has 2-3 weeks to go.

Out of curiosity, and since it's been brought up, should I rack my Imperial Stout to a tertiary? It has a good inch of sediment in it, and it's going to be sitting for quite a while yet.

rewster451 said:
Out of curiosity, and since it's been brought up, should I rack my Imperial Stout to a tertiary? It has a good inch of sediment in it, and it's going to be sitting for quite a while yet.
IMHO, no. I'm sure other's will disagree...and of course they have my permission to do so. ;)

It does happen though. Especially with the addtion of unfermentables. For instance, the cherry puree I am gonig to add to my secondary is going to have to come off it eventaually. I would think being that its a wheat, the beer would start to sour up if I left it sit there for too much more then 3 weeks or so... but I am not sure actually. The person I bought the stuff from said that the cherries will ferment out... but certainly I'll need a Tertiary rack. My attempt to make a cherry wheat many years ago used that 4 oz bottle of extract (I did not hate it... but did not like it either) which was why I did not need a Tertiary rack then.

Back