Hefewizen head issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33rm3

Reaction score
I just cracked open one of my hefewizens and noticed something odd, there is no head at all. Plenty carbed but no head

The grain bill

6# Pilsen
6# wheat malt
1# honey malt

mash
122 10 min
156 60 min

WLP 380

There was a huge krausen and fermented at 68 F

With wheat you should have decent head and retention. What about your serving glass? If it's washed in the dishwasher or has a soap residue of any sort it could be affecting the head.

Its a standard pint glass, it was washed in the dishwasher, but so are all my glasses and i get great head and retention with my mild ale and esb. and the mouthfeel is plenty thick.

b33rm3 said:
Its a standard pint glass, it was washed in the dishwasher, but so are all my glasses and i get great head and retention with my mild ale and esb. and the mouthfeel is plenty thick.

Try the beer in a Hand Washed, hand rinsed, and a hand dryed glass. I would be willing to bet that the glass you had had some soapy residue in it that killed the Head.

Back