Goofed pale ale recipe, any way to save? (wrong hops!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deckardd

Reaction score
So I just realized I used cascade instead of centennial for my brew. Its an all grain pale ale brew, and I got a great mash this time around (my second all grain beer attemp), but I'm really bummed cause a pale ale isn't a pale ale without centennial bittering hops.

What if I bought some centenial hops and dry hopped the fermentor with them? Or what if I got some of the hop extract oil and just put some in the fermentor?

Here's how to fix this:

Pour in glass, ingest.

Cascade and centennial are similar enough as far as taste goes. Sure, the alpha is lower so your beer will be less bitter but that doesn't mean it's broken.

Dry hop away if you want to. Rdwhahb and welcome to the forum!

For a one hour boil I hopped as follows:

1 oz cascade at 0 mins,
1 oz cascade at 15 mins,
1 oz cascade at 30 mins,
2 oz amarillo at 45 mins

Well, that is perfectly fine- I just would have moved the amarillo to a later addition (15, 10, 5, and/or 0). It'll be just fine.

Well it was added at 45 mins into the boil (last hop addition).

Oh, you got your hop schedule backwards (by most standards). So you did:
1 oz cascade at 60 mins,
1 oz cascade at 45 mins,
1 oz cascade at 30 mins,
2 oz amarillo at 15 mins

Looks like it'll turn out great to me

AHS Karankawa Pale ale uses Cascade for bittering 60 min then cluster and sterling @ 15 and 5 min awesome Mini mash kit!!!!!

Back