Harvester Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max42

Reaction score
Not a brewing thread, but thought it might be of interest. I'm on a business trip and found a selection of the Harvester GF beers. They are in 22oz bottles and I picked up one of each, Dark Ale, Pale Ale, Red Ale, and IPA 1&2. I tried the Dark Ale last night and thought it was excellent. Label says it has chestnuts, oats, sorghum, cane sugar, and maltodextrin, of course hops. Flavor was malty, with nice body, dark color, and good head retention. Definitely a really good beer. Hop the rest are that good, too bad I can't get these at home.

Just tried the Red Ale, I think I like this even better than the Dark Ale. The label lists the same ingredients. Color is more reddish, hard to tell from my motel plastic cup :) nice body, malty, good head retention and lacing.

Wish I could get these beers at home.

Harvester is awesome. I had a few drinks with James Neumeister last time I was in Portland, he's a chill dude. Extremely committed to what he's doing, which is most admirable. Always on the lookout for new ideas, and suuuper strict about keeping anything glutenous out of his brewery. The Red and the IPA are my two faves, but I haven't tried IPA #2 yet. Hopefully there's still some left when I'm up there again early next month!

I wish I had time to stop by the brewery. I tried the Pale Ale and it was good but I liked the Red much better. I'm taking the 2 IPAs back in my luggage so it will be a few days. Definitely outstanding beers. Interestingly the labels on these 3 beers list the same ingredients.

Chestnuts, hops, yeast, right? Similar to Barley, hops, yeast in gluten containing beers. I believe they just roast the chestnuts to differing color/roast levels to vary the malt flavor.
Glad you liked the beers, they seem to be doing really well here in the Portland area.

Aha, didn't know they were using other ingredients too.
James has been on TV several times talking about the beers and talking up how the chestnuts are locally sourced and roasted from a single farm. Didn't realize they were using other sugar sources.

Back