Cheap temperature regulators / kegerator options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
I'd like to start kegging this fall, but I'm running into problems.

I've got 3 options.

1 - use older small bar fridge. I'm afraid I won't have enough room. It's 26" from floor to ceiling (inside dimensions). Cools really well, is in great shape, but might be too damn small.

2 - use small freezer. It'd be perfect for 4 cornie kegs, it would just need a new weatherstrip.

3 - use large freezer. It'd be perfect for about 8-10 cornie kegs. (OK, I wouldn't use that many, but it's big.) I could also make a nice bartop for it similar to what brewpastor is doing.

For options 2 and 3, I'm assuming I'll need to use a temperature regulator, correct?
Is there any way I can cobble one together myself? If not, how inexpensive do they get? I've followed links from here, but they all seem to be about $50US and up.

What would you guys recommend? (keep a small budget in mind.)

Kevin

I think that almost everyone here can appreciate a small budget.

However, I think that if you went with the large freezer idea, you'd certainly be glad you had a solid, reliable part. It would be a tragedy (and possibly quite expensive) if a cobbled together part failed and caused the loss of 20-50 gallons of beer (and maybe a fire).

There are lots of things you can skimp on (and then later pick up with you are flush or find a deal) but I'd stick with commercially available on this particular part.

Here are two suggestions for temperature controllers:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9352000
This one is the least expensive I have seen. Rusty said he was thinking of purchasing this one. Maybe he can comment if he buys one.

http://www.zymico.com/controls/
I purchased this Johnson Controls controller. I bought the $60 version and wired it myself. I have been using it for 2 months with a refrigerator and it has worked well. My dad was impressed with the one I purchased so a week ago he bought one to turn his extra fridge into a wine storage space. Both have worked well.

However, fat1321tx claims that his controller from Zymico was dead on arrival.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8735 so they are apparently not foolproof.

Have I confused the situation enough?

-Casey

Sorry,

I now see that you have already "followed some links" from the forums. No doubt already checking out the two links I provided so I didn't really answer your question.

Now, to comment on building your own controller...

I personally would not attempt to do it. But I am not an electrician. If you have experience or know an electrician that would build you one (preferably for a 6-pack of homebrew or two) then you shoud investigate that route. Building one by yourself with no experience would not be a wise decision in my opinion.

-Casey

squatch said:
However, fat1321tx claims that his controller from Zymico was dead on arrival.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8735 so they are apparently not foolproof.

Have I confused the situation enough?

-Casey

I have not heard anything back from Zymico yet but I got another thermostat A419abc1 from a local ac supply for $54 and I bought a 12' 16awg power cord and a 1/2 " bx connector for $10 from homedepot wired it up and its working great! I got a side by side fridge from craigs list for $100 and plan on keeping kegs in freezer side and fermenting ales on fridge side.

squatch said:
Now, to comment on building your own controller...

I personally would not attempt to do it. But I am not an electrician. If you have experience or know an electrician that would build you one (preferably for a 6-pack of homebrew or two) then you shoud investigate that route. Building one by yourself with no experience would not be a wise decision in my opinion.

-Casey

Wiring the A419abc1 thermostat is really easy to wire do not sweat it! I will email you a pick if you need it you can do it. Racking your beer to a secondary takes more skill and time. If you buy the thermostat local you can take it back if there is a problem. The total cost is around $60 and you get the same controler that most places charge $75-$100

Back