Attention Wisconsin Brewers!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This came in yesterday from Rep. Leibham:

Miles-

Thank you for contacting me recently to share your thoughts regarding legislation affecting the regulation of home brewers in Wisconsin. As your State Senator, I appreciate your input and grassroots involvement in the legislative process.

The proposal has not yet been introduced as a formal bill. Once this occurs, I will work to educate myself on the specific aspects relating to home brewing in Wisconsin. Your input and knowledge will be helpful as I seek to develop a position and prepare to cast a vote that is in the best interests of the residents of the 9th Senate District.

Once this proposal is formally introduced, I encourage you to access the Wisconsin Legislature’s electronic bill notification service to track this bill in the Legislature. This free service provides individuals with immediate electronic updates on specific legislative proposals. You can access this service and track the progress of a bill by clicking on the following link: Wisconsin Legislative Notification Service Home.

Thank you again for sharing your input. Please contact me again if I can provide additional information or answer any of your questions. For more information on my overall legislative efforts, I encourage you to log-on to my on-line office at: Joe Leibham, Wisconsin State Senator, District 9.

It is an honor to work for and represent the residents of the 9th District in the State Senate!

Sincerely,

Joe Leibham
State Senator
9th District

This came in yesterday from Rep. Leibham:

Miles-

Thank you for contacting me recently to share your thoughts regarding legislation affecting the regulation of home brewers in Wisconsin. As your State Senator, I appreciate your input and grassroots involvement in the legislative process.

The proposal has not yet been introduced as a formal bill. Once this occurs, I will work to educate myself on the specific aspects relating to home brewing in Wisconsin. Your input and knowledge will be helpful as I seek to develop a position and prepare to cast a vote that is in the best interests of the residents of the 9th Senate District.

Once this proposal is formally introduced, I encourage you to access the Wisconsin Legislature’s electronic bill notification service to track this bill in the Legislature. This free service provides individuals with immediate electronic updates on specific legislative proposals. You can access this service and track the progress of a bill by clicking on the following link: Wisconsin Legislative Notification Service Home.

Thank you again for sharing your input. Please contact me again if I can provide additional information or answer any of your questions. For more information on my overall legislative efforts, I encourage you to log-on to my on-line office at: Joe Leibham, Wisconsin State Senator, District 9.

It is an honor to work for and represent the residents of the 9th District in the State Senate!

Sincerely,

Joe Leibham
State Senator
9th District

I received that same.

Update.

http://maildogmanager.com/page.html?client=aobhtml::cid=3500::drct=1

Now bill 395, the homebrewing legislation is going to a senate committee on January 31, 2012. I am considering attending the hearing...

Please send another note to reps you haven't heard from and thank those who have shown support. My Rep. (Pridemore) has signed on as a cosponsor, but I have not gotten anything out of my senator. I just sent both emails.

Anyone else thinking of going to the hearing?

Thanks for the update! :mug:

I may show up with some people, I will post back to confirm in a few days.

Thanks for the update on the Senate bill. Does anybody know if there is a similar bill in the other house?

Thanks for the update on the Senate bill. Does anybody know if there is a similar bill in the other house?

The Senate bill is co-sponsored by a number of Assemblypersons. I expect the Assembly will take up the Senate bill as is when/if it passes. It's not a complicated issue so I don't expect separate bills.

I never heard a direct response from my communication from either my rep or senator. However, I was encouraged that my Senator did co-sponsor the bill so maybe it did do some good.

There a very interesting tidbit as well. One of the links regarding all bills goes to the Government Accountability Board where they report the lobbying efforts on bills. The Tavern League of Wisconsin has lobbied a position AGAINST this bill. On the surface, you might say that makes sense. Except, when you think about it, home brewers have done more to advance the beer boom (and specifically the craft beer boom) that makes the bars alot of money. So, I'm slightly pissed so see that. Quite short sighted on their part. It would be one thing to simply see them ignore it, but it's quite another to see them lobby against it.

http://ethics.state.wi.us/scripts/currentSession/LegProps.asp?key=REGSB395

So, that brings it back to my Assemblyman who has been pretty silent on this (no response, etc). My rep is Kuglitch who owns Kuglitch's bars and other establishments. I supported him as the best conservative in the primaries and also in the election. You can bet I will be watching very closely how he votes when this finally (hopefully) comes up for a vote.

Jaz

The Tavern League of Wisconsin has lobbied a position AGAINST this bill.

Makes sense though if you follow the bread crumbs.....
  • The origination the new changes was brought on by Miller/Coors pushing to change the distribution laws
  • Some of the new law (or at least the interpretation about homebrew laws, without going into the three-tier crap) makes no sense, so the new bill addresses that homebrew issue
  • Now, the Tavern League has to oppose it because it was part of the bill that was pushed by Miller/Coors...whom, I would assume, has a big influence on what the Tavern League does because of the majority of beers sold at the bars in WI.

Corruption and greed is everywhere in politics, you barely have to look anymore....and us meager homebrewers get the shaft.

:mad:

***I consider myself a conservative with a rather libertarian slant. Being "greedy" in the sense the Occupy movement defines it should be rewarded; most "rich" people in this country make there money through hard work and acute financial decisions. However, the people who use political policy and tactics to get money (mostly from taxpayers or by twisting arms of those representing taxpayers) is another issue...that means Miller/Coors, Bud, Big labor Unions, Teacher Unions, Green Tech companies, Mining and Oil companies, Environmentalists etc. They are all equally guilty, and will be the fall of our country some day.

...off my box now.

pfffttttbaaaaaaahahhahhaahahha! are you f-ing serious???

The Tavern League of Wisconsin signed up in opposition to the bill because of consumer health and safety concerns, executive director Pete Madland said. He noted 17 deaths recently in India after the victims reportedly drank tainted moonshine. He noted homebrewers aren't subject to the same health and safety inspection requirements as commercial brewers.

"If we have everybody starting to make bathtub gin, it can become a dangerous situation," he said.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/lo...94f-11e1-96d5-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1l3GnoocL

I tried to find an email or phone number for that guy, but came up empty. I don't understand how people can get away with saying things that are so clearly wrong, and also have nothing to do with the matter at hand. The first part about "people starting to make"....wrong, this has nothing to do with beginning to allow people to brew beer. Second, "bathtub gin" is laughable, except that he is serious when he says this!

I wish I didn't have to work today, so I could go to that public hearing and put this guy and everyone like him to shame. I would stand up and state that the "public safety" concern has no basis at all. If this were the case, then transporting home cooked food across town to the park for a picnic should definitely be illegal because more people get sick from spoiled foods than from homemade beer, hands down.

I hope some of you guys are gonna make it there and simply point out the idiocy of this argument!

By that logic I shouldn't be allowed to cook at home either because the health dept doesn't regulate my kitchen. I can see the restaurant lobbyists now

"The Tavern League of Wisconsin signed up in opposition to the bill because of consumer health and safety concerns, executive director Pete Madland said. He noted 17 deaths recently in India after the victims reportedly drank tainted moonshine. He noted homebrewers aren't subject to the same health and safety inspection requirements as commercial brewers.

"If we have everybody starting to make bathtub gin, it can become a dangerous situation," he said."

I read this crap in the paper yesterday while I was at work. I about called "Bullsh!t" out loud. I get why the Tavern League thinks they need to be involved in this, but this is one where they would be better off just leaving it alone. There is no up side for them by getting involved because whether the law gets passed or not, homebrewers' drinking habits aren't going to change from what they are now. All they are doing is pissing off potential high dollar customers. I'm waiting for the WBDA to come out against the bill as well. Long live the 3 tier system.

Pete Madland, you, sir, are a complete ass hat. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's just being highly disingenuous and is not so stupid as to conflate the risks of illegal distillation with transporting homebrew.

because this here'smerica

Well, they need to be called out!

"Ummm, excuse me sir, but you clearly have no idea what this legislation seeks to accomplish or what homebrewing is. This bill does not in any way discuss production of distilled spirits, such as "bathtub gin", nor does it provide a legal right to produce or transport distilled spirits; both of which are illegal under Federal Statute 26 U.S.C. 5601. This bill would allow citizens to legally and freely transport our legally produced (under Federal Statute 26 U.S.C. 5053 and Wisconsin statute Chapter 125, Subchapter 1, § 125.06 (3)) fermented beverages at our discretion."

....I could go on and on....:off:

Well, they need to be called out!

"Ummm, excuse me sir, but you clearly have no idea what this legislation seeks to accomplish or what homebrewing is. This bill does not in any way discuss production of distilled spirits, such as "bathtub gin", nor does it provide a legal right to produce or transport distilled spirits; both of which are illegal under Federal Statute 26 U.S.C. 5601. This bill would allow citizens to legally and freely transport our legally produced (under Federal Statute 26 U.S.C. 5053 and Wisconsin statute Chapter 125, Subchapter 1, § 125.06 (3)) fermented beverages at our discretion."

....I could go on and on....:off:

call him out, then.

I did not attend the meeting but am posting an edited version of an e-mail I received. It was edited so that it would be easy to follow and that only the factual information is conveyed.

E-MAIL said:
Sen. Ellis outlined thoughts about timing prior to the hearing. The hearing room was pretty much filled.

The hearing began with Sen. Ellis giving a brief statement and then introduced people to the committee. They gave the opening statement, a statement about the law, and a statement about homebrew clubs. The AHA statement was not read but was turned in for their consideration. A few other people gave brief statements in support of the legislation. There was no opposition.

Note: The Dept of Revenue did ask for one clarification. They wanted to make sure that the law was not ambiguous about serving homebrew at an event where admission is charged. We stated that we would have no objection to an amendment that clarified this.

All of the committee members seemed to be supportive of the legislation. They were impressed by the constant theme of sharing our beer and that the majority of pro brewers started off as homebrewers and were even able to connect the creativity in pro brewing stems from that homebrewing background.

The whole hearing lasted about 1 hour. After, Chairman Cowles set an Executive Session for next week where the bill will be voted out of committee. Suspected vote will be 5-0 in favor. After the bill leaves Energy, Biotech, and Consumer Protection Committee it goes to the Senate Organization Committee, which Sen. Ellis is a member of. The Senate Organization Committee is responsible for referring bills to the floor of the Senate for debate and passage by the Senate as a whole. Sen. Ellis expects that we will see a vote by the full Senate on February 14th. Passage is expected.

On February 15th, the bill is sent to the Assembly for consideration. Here is where we have to get to work again. This is liable to be a bot harder than the Senate. Right now we need to push for a procedural motion. What we want is for the bill to be referred to the Assembly Rules Committee; we do not want it referred to any other standing committee.

Why the rules committee? Because the Rules Committee is the Assembly counter part the to Senate Organization Committee. It is the committee that refers bills to the floor of the Assembly for debate and passage. If it gets sent to another committee that means we have to get another public hearing before it goes to the Rules Committee. By referring it directly to the Rules Committee we bypass another hearing and stand a much better chance of getting immediate floor action. This is important because we have a time crunch on our hands.

After the Senate vote, the only floor time available in the Assembly is the week of Feb 20th (with the 20th being a holiday), the week of March 5th and the week of March 12th. After that the legislature adjourns.

So, what does this mean? It means that we need to get EVERYONE to contact their representatives in the Assembly to ask the leadership to refer S. 395 to the Assembly Rules Committee. After that has been done they need to ask Rep. Suder, the Chair of the Rules Committee, and Rep. Fitzgerald, the Speaker of the Assembly, for a floor vote ASAP. If they have a member on the Rules Committee or if Rep. Suder or Rep Fitzgerald then all the better. They should be contacting their offices directly and be getting all of their friends and neighbors to do so also.

I'll be blunt, Reps. Suder and Fitzgerald hold the power here. They are the ones that we need to get pressured to let the bill go to the floor. Your representatives will understand this and why we are asking for the bill to go to the Rule Committee. Their outspoken support is our best tool. We also need this to be a bi-partisan effort. Something that has bi-partisan support and is non-controversial will stand a much better chance of quick passage.

In the meantime, at Sen. Ellis' suggestion, Meetings are trying to be scheduled with Reps. Suder and Fitzgerald to lobby for the bill directly. We have been getting a lot of press lately, so that should help matters a lot.

Again, the personal contact will influence the final outcome of this bill. Find representatives in the Assembly is at this link.

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

copy/paste for Senators:

Greetings Sen. XXXX,

I would like to update you on the progress of LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation on homebrewing.

After the public hearing on 1-31-2012, Chairman Cowles set an Executive Session for the week of 2-6-2012, where the bill will be voted out of committee. Suspected vote will be 5-0 in favor. After the bill leaves the Energy, Biotech, and Consumer Protection Committee it goes to the Senate Organization Committee. Senator Ellis expects there to be a vote by the full Senate on February 14th. Passage is expected. I hope that you will support this bill and vote for its passage.

Thank you for your consideration,

XXXXX,
address

copy/paste for Assembly:

Greetings Rep. XXXX,

I would like to update you on the progress of LRB 3101 - The Ellis/Kaufert legislation on homebrewing.

After the public hearing on 1-31-2012, Chairman Cowles set an Executive Session for the week of 2-6-2012, where the bill will be voted out of committee. Suspected vote will be 5-0 in favor. After the bill leaves the Energy, Biotech, and Consumer Protection Committee it goes to the Senate Organization Committee. Senator Ellis expects there to be a vote by the full Senate on February 14th. Passage is expected.

On February 15th, the bill is expected to be sent to the Assembly for consideration. I am urging you to refer S. 395 to the Assembly Rules Committee. This is important because we have a time crunch on our hands. After the Senate vote, as you know, the only floor time available in the Assembly is the week of Feb 20th (with the 20th being a holiday), the week of March 5th and the week of March 12th.

Again, I urge you to ask Rep. Suder and Rep. Fitzgerald for a floor vote ASAP.

Thank you for your consideration,

XXXXX,
address

I got home tonight to discover a very nice personal message from Representative Litjens. She signed on to support the measure and was very positive about the future of this measure.

fyi

I called Majority Leader and Chair of the Rules Committee Scott Suder's office up today to try and set up a meeting. His staff person would have none of it and was rather standoffish. So, we are going to have to light a fire under his feet. Suder's district is #69. This map is what his district will look like after redistricting (i.e. his constituents for the next 10 years)

http://legis.wisconsin.gov/ltsb/redistricting/PDFs/ad69.pdf

We need everyone in your club who lives in this district to contact Rep. Suder and tell him to not only support SB 395, but to refer it the the Rules Committee immediately. We need not only club members, but their families, friends, acquaintances, co-workers, groupies or what have you to call also. This has to happen pretty much immediately as the Senate is going to vote in 2 weeks and I want to try and get in to twist his arm in person before the Senate votes.

We need to get a lot of local pressure on him to make this happen. Ellis explained some of the internal politics going on and Suder may drag his feet for no reason other than he can. I can explain the internal politics to anyone who is ready for their eyes to glaze over. Needless to say, local pressure; constituents calling in and demanding action; is how we are going to get him to move.

Meanwhile, I am going to write a letter/op-ed to the Editor of the Marshfield News Herald citing stories run in other Gannett papers in the state to try and get some press pressure on him also. xxxxxxxxx, do you mind editing?

Beer Barons-

I am assuming you guys have a lot of members on District 39 and probably know people in District 39. It is Beaver Dam to Lomira down Hgwy 41 towards Waukesha. Here is the map. http://legis.wisconsin.gov/ltsb/redistricting/PDFs/ad39.pdf

I tried contacting Speaker Fitzgerald today also. They are at least going to call me back. We need to do the same thing with him. The more pressure we can exert on him the better. Again, the internal politics are at play here.

Everyone-

Again, every club members, family member, friend, co-worker, acquaintances, groupies, hangers on, or what have you needs to contact their member of the Assembly to get them to not only support SB 395, but to exert pressure on the Majority Leader and Speaker to send the bill directly to Rules and then to the floor for a clean vote. The should also contact Suder and Fitzgerald in their leadership capacities.

What I write for the Marshfield Paper we can send to any other paper in the state also. In fact, that is probably a good idea.

Everyone should be writing their local papers and tv stations themselves also. Everything we can do to drum up public support is only going to help.

xxxxxxxx, can you data mine AHA members who live in certain towns and cities if I give you a list? Or maybe we should have another state wide email go out and specifically say if you live in the following cities please contact Rep. Suder and Fitzgerald.......................It would be nice to target Suder and Fitzgerald.

Guys, I may be wrong about this, but I get a very strong feeling that the Assembly is not going to be the cake walk that the Senate was. Public pressure; constituent pressure in the name of the game here.

Senator Hansen (District 30) also pledged his support via signed letter. Which I thought was decent of the man, considering the digital age we live in.

Still moving forward. Letter amended in previous fashion.

Email said:
The meeting went very well. The Speaker has no objections to the bill and will likely be able to get it to the floor once they receive it from the Senate. However, we are going to have to get a public hearing in it first. They had already spoken to the distributors and were told that the distributors are staying out of it. They are going to let people know if they hear of any grumbling out there.

Last week, Rep. Kaufert introduced the companion bill to S.395, AB 521, with a total of 15 sponsors in the Assembly. https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/proposals/ab521

The bill was referred to the Homeland Security and State Affairs Committee. This committee is chaired by Rep. Karl Van Roy, who is a sponsor of our legislation. Rep. Van Roy has already scheduled a public hearing for this Wednesday at 10:00.

Here is the agenda. http://committeeschedule.legis.wisconsin.gov/files/HearingNotices/12-02-08-1005-2011AHOM-18514.html

Anyone who can attend this hearing on Wednesday at 10:00 please do. A big turnout will help.

Here is the committee website to see if your member is on the committee. http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/Co...and+Security+and+State+Affairs&HOUSE=Assembly

Meanwhile, the Senate Committee votes tomorrow on S.395. They will not be amending the bill to satisfy the DOR. There are two reasons. The first is that Legislative Counsel felt that their might be some conflicts with federal law if it is amended. Secondly, the Tavern League has said that they will go for basic disapproval to outright war if the bill is amended. The Senators Ellis and Cowles decided that it was best not to amend the bill and pass it as is.

What does all of this mean? It means that the Senate is still on schedule to pass the bill next week. When the Senate passes it, the Assembly can immediately take it up as there was already a public hearing on the the companion bill. Barring objection, they will try and pass it by voice vote as early as next week.

How do we make sure that there are no objections? Everyone should call their Representatives in support of SB 395 AND the companion bill AB 521. Be nice, be polite, and just express your support. No individual member needs to be concentrated on; just your own. Kaufert's office has already been getting a lot questions and support due to our efforts. Let's keep it up and hopefully it will be on the Governor's desk with the next few weeks.

We need you to contact your representative in both the Assembly and Senate in support of both S.395 and AB 521. We should mention the Committee hearing, if possible.

Again, people can find out who their legislators are at this link. http://legis.wisconsin.gov/w3asp/waml/waml.aspx

Keep up the great work peeps!

This is now an Assembly bill as well (AB521). It has been referred to committee but that meeting actually occurred this AM!!! (as stated above) I was caught by surprise as the bill was read and referred to committee last Thursday the 2nd.

So, hopefully good things happened and it was recommended as passed by the committee and will soon be available for scheduling.

Jaz

The committee will hold a public hearing on the following items at the time specified below:
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
10:05 AM
415 Northwest
State Capitol

Assembly Bill 521
Relating to: homemade wine and fermented malt beverages.
By Representatives Kaufert, Kooyenga, Brooks, Pasch, Kestell, Wynn, Thiesfeldt, Pocan, Pridemore, Spanbauer, C. Taylor, Van Roy, Honadel, Bernard Schaber and Litjens; cosponsored by Senators Ellis, Lazich, Harsdorf, Wanggaard, Kedzie and Grothman.

....... (other bills as well)

It sounds like yesterday was a disaster! Strong opposition from various lobbying groups and even some sponsors stating they are going to take another look at the bill...

Damn it! Anyone make it to the meeting and into the hall?

It sounds like yesterday was a disaster! Strong opposition from various lobbying groups and even some sponsors stating they are going to take another look at the bill...

Damn it! Anyone make it to the meeting and into the hall?

I didn't even know this committee meeting was happening until it was over...

meh, doesn't sound like much to me.

Rep. Dean Kaufert, R-Neenah, who helped introduce the bill, said the legislation is common sense and not aimed at illegal business activity.

"I was a little surprised that all of a sudden all these groups were having a problem with it," he said. "The intent of this is for the little guy to share some beer among friends. I sense the big guys are trying to blow it out of proportion and create scenarios to try to get people riled up. Suddenly, it's become David vs. Goliath."

Our homebrew club sent the same article today. My homebrew club is based in WI, as it's on the border and some of us live in MI and some live in WI- we have meetings in both MI and WI.

I don't understand why distributors think homebrewers would be a threat. It's ridiculous to draw this out, but that's what's happening. I don't vote in WI, but I encourage everyone who does to contact their legislator!

The opposition is asking for regulation and monitoring of homebrewers activities... that doesn't sound good to me. I hope that the legislators don't bite, but this is Wisconsin and our legislature loves the crap out of its taxes and ever increasing regulation/bureaucracy.

Plus, we need this to get to the floor quickly, not to be bogged down by revisions and arguments.

I hope I can find some more people to contact their reps, and I encourage you to do the same.

hopefully we'll hear from someone who was there. where's meaty when you actually need him??

i've contacted my rep - but unfortunately for me, that's Darling. Co-author of Motion 414.

I can just see the following compromise happening:
"Sure you can bring your brew outside the home, but you'll have to register all of your homebrew and pay excise taxes on each batch brewed. We'll create a Department of Homebrew Oversight to monitor all homebrew activities to ensure compliance"

Please, please, please Mr. Government...don't micromanage your constituents. At some point you just have to let it go and trust that the vast majority of people are NOT trying to abuse the law. FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!

I'm a homebrewer, and I'm for de-regulation.
EDIT: I currently live in IL, but am originally from WI and have tons of family/friends in the state, hence my concern for my home state.

Re: the Chicago Tribune article:

I especially love the line:
“They expressed concern with home brewers making alcohol outside the home, and said there's no way to track if a home brewer makes more than they're legally allowed.”
…yeah, cause it’s so much easier to track it as it stands now. And they're very diligently tracking now. I call BS.

Let it go dude. Homebrewers aren't out to rip off the government; they just like making good beer and sharing it with their friends.

I just like how they are concerned with homebrewers selling and paying taxes (regulation) on our product. Did they REALLY see any profit jump since 2011? Honestly, most people I have met didn't even know it was illegal to take off your premise until this came about.

Subscribing from Illinois. You guys have my support and hopefully this works out! Illinois seems to love any opportunity to regulate, tax, and control its residents so I would hate to see a domino...

Back