I forgot apple cider in water bottles.. Is it safe to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Be

Reaction score
Hi HBT.

Around two months ago, I decided to do a quick test batch of some cider made from store-bought apple juice. I usually ferment in either glass carboys or plastic buckets made for the purpose, but this time I just couldn't be bothered since it was only a 3 liter batch, so I fermented in two 1.5L water bottles.

My question is:
After it had fermented out, I put the bottles in my fridge and they have been there for around two months. I know that there might be some leeching of chemicals from the plastic, especially because of the alcohol, but I am not sure whether it is a (health) problem after two months? The cider itself is around 6% ABV.

Thank you for your answer in advance.

if you're the type to be afraid of the air you breathe, the water you drink and the soil your food is grown in, then dump it

wouldn't bother me in the least bit, I'd drink it

remember: EVERYTHING causes cancer

In colonial days, hard cider was the preferred drink over water as pathogens generally die in an solution containing alcohol.

Back