safe materials

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doogilas

Reaction score
I am planning a complete rebuild of my all grain system (to make it safer and less complicated). I have searched the forums and have found some info but thought it might be good to have a single discussion on safe and unsafe materials to use in brewing ie. plastics, metals, cleaners.

Thanks
Doug

Bleach is something most people say to avoid. I had a bad experience with it early on so I avoid it.

PVC is not stable at brewing temps.

Galvanized pipe, rusts.

Oh you meant food safe materials for your MLT! Yea stay away from anything galvanized and PVC. Now, CPVC is designed to be higher temp resistant, so it should be safe for brewing.

Any cooler is made from safe plastic, and many brewers use it. I do. Also safe is aluminum, stainless steel, copper and brass.

What about tubing materials? I see a lot of options out there most, being a form of plastic. With high temps and such I am a little spooked at using plastics.

I wondered about tubing too. We use a pressure cooker as a steam generator to inject steam into the mash tun to raise the temp for step mashing. I have a stainless tube that we actually stick in the mash but the tube is connected to the pressure cooker via a clear vinyl tube. Is that a problem? The tube gets very flexible but doesn't seem to be in danger of melting.

Back