First Batch - Advice needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sielm

Reaction score
Hello all, today I have made my first homemade beer batch. It is not my first fermented beverage, I have some traditional meads on the way, but it is my first beer and I have some doubts about it. I only had a few ingredients so I had no other choices for my first batch. Every container and piece of equipment I used was cleaned thoroughly and soaked in a solution of water and C-brite for at least 20 minutes, and then rinsed well with water and left to dry with room temperature air.

I used the following:

Batch size: 3 gallons

Fermentables:
1 can (4lbs) Mountmellick Light (syrup)
0.7 lbs Muntons LME (powder)
0.3 lbs dark, really good wildflower honey
1 oz white sugar

Hops:
1 oz Cascade hop pellets

Water:
Natural bottled water (up to 3 gallons)

Yeast:
1 pkg Fermentis Safale S-04

Process:
Heated water up to 185F and added the syrup, extract powder, honey and sugar, stirring well to dissolve and aerate. Bring to a boil and added 3/4 (0.75 oz) hop pellets. Boiled for 45 minutes and added the remaining hops, 1/4 (0.25 oz) for 15 minutes. Cooled wort, strained to primary fermenter (I am actually using 2 separate fermenters, about 1.5 gallons each), topped up with natural water and shook for a while to mix everything up. Measured the OG when the temperature was around 72ºF; my hydrometer reading of the bottled water was exactly 1.000 so I was a bit confused when I got an OG reading of the wort of 1.062, seems a little high in my opinion (again I'm really new to homebrewing!).

I used half the yeast package for a small starter, using only a cup of clean water at 72ºF and letting it sit for 20 minutes, stirring softly each 5 minutes. After this the starter was bubbling and creating quite a bit of foam. Added the starter and then the other half of the yeast package divided into each container. Put on sanitized stoppers and airlocks and filled them up with water and about 5 drops of sanitizing alcohol into each one. After 8 hours each airlock is bubbling nicely, about a bubble each 3 seconds or so. A 1 inch thick krausen has formed and the color is a darkish opaque brown (much like a milk chocolate bar). The temperatures this will be at will be about 70-73ºF.

Now the questions:
1. What do you think about the OG reading? Using an online beer recipe calculator and applying the amounts I used I get a reading of 1.048 which is quite far away from my actual reading.

2. Using the ingredients noted before, and considering the temperature range, which style would you say this beer would be? I have too much to learn about beers so please bear with me! I know I have to relax, don't worry and have a homebrew. But I would like to know my beer style. Do you guys think this is an Ale, and if so, in which style would it be?

3. The Mountmellick syrup is unhopped but I'm not sure about Muntons Light Malt extract, the bag does not say a thing about it. Is 1oz of Cascade too much hops for a 3 gallon batch?

4. Any suggestions about fermentation duration or racking schedule? Should I secondary or directly bottle and prime?

I will be tremendously thankful to anyone commenting about my little experiment. I will try to post some photos if I get ahold of a digital camera and share the progress. Thanks for reading and good homebrewing!

:mug:

Brewsmith gives me an estimated OG of just over 1.060 with this recipe, so you're pretty much right on with your readings. What online calculator did you use? Your hops sound fine too. I've put WAY more than that in 2.5 gallon IPAs.

Look around on HBT and you'll find all sorts of great info on primary vs. secondary and when it's time time to bottle. Have fun and happy brewing!

Thanks for the reply! (I love The Big Lebowski hehehe)

I used BeerCalculus, although I'm not sure about the ingredients listed there (there was no exact match for the Mountmellick extract for example). Glad to hear about the reading not being too far off. What kind of beer do you think this would be? Thanks again, I will try to research about the BrewSmith software you mention.

Any feedback is appreciated, thank you!

Yes, the BeerSmith software makes a really great approximation of my measured OG. I guess I will purchase the whole program!

For what is worth, I will name this beer My First Ordinary Ale. I know I'm using European extracts and yeast but American hops, so I guess this is is a fair name. I am anyway intrigued about the real name this beer would have.

Thanks all, RDWHAHB!!

Looks like you nailed it. Not sure of your style though: "Honey Blonde?"

You will make beer with this though. Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back