Should I move my MLT Output to the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenmusic

Reaction score
I have a 50-quart "cube" stye MLT that did not come with a spigot, so I drilled a hole where it /should/ have been (based on a dip on the inside surface) and stuck my CPVC in with liberal use of PTFE tape, a homemade PET washer on the inside and a thick coating of JB Weld on the outside. I use a mesh hose made from aluminum screen rolled up and held with aluminum cable ties (holds up very nicely and is pretty much disposable, since it costs $0.50 to make a new one).

Now, my question is... I'm suffering from a massive amount of dead space; Wouldn't it be better to cover that hole and redo it so that my output hole is on the bottom? That could seriously kill any and all dead space, especially if I just cover the hole with, like, a balloon of overlapped aluminum screen (imagine a turkey baster bulb sticking out of a kitchen sink drain, only made of screen mesh). I'm sure a different shape would make stirring safer (for the mesh), but I don't know what shape I could make with this stuff.

I'm fairly certain that a false bottom, while it would be the best answer, is pretty much abhorently difficult to put into one of these. Maybe a mesh tray of some sort, screwed to the walls? I tried that for a planter once, and it worked, but eventually gave out and one side ripped out (the screen, not the screws). I'm just rambling at this point, someone take it from here! :cross:

If you can I think bottom drains are great. I converted my boil kettle to have a bottom drain and now I don't have any deadspace there and I can even squeeze the hops with a sanitized spoon to get out the last of the wort from them (important with huge IPAs). It is an electric kettle though so I don't have to worry about protecting it from flame. As far as a MLT I think it could work rather well depending on how it is constructed. If you are still going to use a braid you'll have to figure out how to transition from vertical to horizontal, but you won't have to worry about siphon issues anymore.

Latest posts

Back