Looking for APA v3 critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a half batch APA before all grain and it was my best batch. I simply plan to double and do all grain outside. Just looking for a little double check on it from the masses.

5.5 gallon batch, 73% efficiency

10# 2-row pale
1# Caramel 20L

1 oz Galena - 45 minutes
1 oz cascade - 20 minutes
.5 oz cascade (dry hopped) - 14 full days in secondary

wyeast 1056

I could ROYALLY cut down costs (like $10) if I went Notty and Cascade bittered. Do you think it would make much of a difference in the overall flavor?

1056 is going to be cleaner with less esters than notty but personally i love both. You could use safale 05 instead of 1056 to save also.

Nottingham yeast always gives me a fruity taste. I liked it at first, but now that I'm set up to make fruit beers, I want my REGULAR beers to taste like. . . well. . . beer. I'm with scinerd3000 and vote for Safale S-05 in lieu of Nottingham. Personally, I only use liquid yeast for beers that call for dramatic yeast styles (Big Belgians, Wits, High temperature lagers, stuff like that,) so I think dry yeast will be a fine substitution for an APA.

As for substituting Cascade for Galena. . . Cascade hops are the micro-brew standard. A lot of people recognize the taste as generic "hop" flavor," so if you use them for bittering AND aroma then your beer will just scream CASCADE HOPS! As a result, your guests will find the beer overhopped - even if they'd be fine with the same amount of IBUs in a beer which used Galena. That may not be a problem for you, just bear it in mind.

As for substituting Cascade for Galena. . . Cascade hops are the micro-brew standard. A lot of people recognize the taste as generic "hop" flavor," so if you use them for bittering AND aroma then your beer will just scream CASCADE HOPS! As a result, your guests will find the beer overhopped - even if they'd be fine with the same amount of IBUs in a beer which used Galena. That may not be a problem for you, just bear it in mind.

I just brewed an extract APA using Amarillo and Cascade combo for bittering, flavor, and aroma. I also plan to dry hop with an 1 oz of each. However, Amarillo doesn't have as high of AA% as Galena.

Nottingham yeast always gives me a fruity taste. I liked it at first, but now that I'm set up to make fruit beers, I want my REGULAR beers to taste like. . . well. . . beer. I'm with scinerd3000 and vote for Safale S-05 in lieu of Nottingham. Personally, I only use liquid yeast for beers that call for dramatic yeast styles (Big Belgians, Wits, High temperature lagers, stuff like that,) so I think dry yeast will be a fine substitution for an APA.

Well the previous one with Galena got rave reviews. So I guess I'll stick with that.

May use 1056 and just save the cakes and stock up on American Ales.

This forum also has two great stickies on washing yeast and creating a freezer-safe yeast bank. If you do use the more expensive yeast, DEFINITELY get started on that. I just got started, and it's MUCH easier than I expected.

I've done the yeast washing, I may do it again. I worry I made an error in cleanliness though because I had some cultures which worked well, and some that didn't.

At $7 a pop though I may have to though. Notty is so tempting because it's a friggin $1.49 here.

I've done the yeast washing, I may do it again. I worry I made an error in cleanliness though because I had some cultures which worked well, and some that didn't.

At $7 a pop though I may have to though. Notty is so tempting because it's a friggin $1.49 here.

Just with a first washing I have been able to easily get enough yeast for 5 more starters. Washing up to 4-5 times thats easily the equivelant of 20-25 vials, or smak-paks. That is quite a few bucks!:rockin:

Personally, I only use liquid yeast for beers that call for dramatic yeast styles (Big Belgians, Wits, High temperature lagers, stuff like that,) so I think dry yeast will be a fine substitution for an APA.

Totally agree. Recipe looks good.

I personally use Kerr or Ball cannig jars, but I have read and seen some who do use beer bottles.

There was a recent thread somewhere here about a guy who got brewkakked by a beer bottle with stored yeast. Apparently, he allowed it to warm to room temps during a brew session and when he went to uncap it, the yeast exploded out all over the place!

Back