What would yall do with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
I piked this up at a local farmers market on an impulse buy. The warning intrigued me as I was getting ready to make my first fruit wine...but I really don't know what to do with it.

2013-08-17182908_zps3be89299.jpg

2013-08-17182932_zpse990eb68.jpg

I have a 6 gal blackberry wine aging and it needs topping up...should I use a little, or just buy a similar wine to top it off?

For the rest I guess I want to see how it would turn out letting it ferment out. Should I add sugar(it is sweetened)? Any specific yeast?

I'm open to all options...I bought it 3 months ago and its just sitting in the pantry.

I wouldn't use the juice in the picture because it would restart fermentation unless you sorbated your wine already. I don't see why you can't use a similar wine to top it off.

When I made my blackberry wine, I used Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast. I was told that it helps mellow malic acid since blackberries are high in it.

Test the OG, get it to 1.050-1.060 and pitch a good cider yeast. I prefer ale yeasts for apple juice, unless you add lots of tannins and raisins.

If you have a blackberry wine going right now, I'd use this one for a quicker cider.

The wife asked me to flavor an Ale with it. Blackberry Ale sound good? ...off to look for a recipe.

Back