Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abs2003

Reaction score
So I just recently bottled an IPA batch (which tastes awesome btw) but had a quick question. I boiled 3/4 cup corn sugar in 2 cups of water ( per john palmer) and let it cool...i siphoned my beer into my bottling carboy and totally forgot to put the cooled water/sugar mix into the bottling carboy before. I bottled a couple before realizing what I did, so I put the mixture into the beer and gently mixed it into the beer. Should I be fine with this?

I think so. But I can't quite understand what you did. You racked from your fermenter to a bottling bucket or some form of a bottling vessel, and then you filled only a couple of bottles before realizing your mistake? At that point, did you add the sugar to your bottling vessel? If so, as long as you mixed it in gently but thoroughly, the remaining bottles would be fine.

As for bottles that were filled before/without the sugar being added to the bottling vessel, yes, you can add sugar directly to the bottles themselves. The only difficulty here is that it is much harder to precisely measure that small volume of sugar solution needed to carb one bottle. Carbonation drops/tablets are handier for this. I have forgotten to add my priming sugar before, and those carb tabs saved my bacon.

If you added it to the bottling vessel, then you are okay. I've done this as well and it turned out just fine.

But for future brews, you probably shouldn't boil the corn sugar. If you boil the sugar it sometimes converts the sugars to non-fermentables and that isn't good. Just get the water hot enough to dissolve the sugar, usually around 135-155, and mix it in.

I always boil my priming solution and cool it then siphon the beer into the priming solution. This is the first I've ever heard of boiling sugar making it unfermentable. I boil my sugar solutions for winemaking, too.

I think the that you may have that backward, I have heard of boiling some types of unfermentable sugars to convert them to fermentables but never heard it the other way, I have boiled priming sugars countless numbers of times without any ill effects

Cheers

Yeah I always boil. Sugar can contain the bad guys and should be sanitized.
Adding primer to a already siphoned batch has its own perils, mostly oxygenation, but only slightly less, is uneven distribution of sugar throughout the mix.
Probably not the end of the world as long as you don't get any bottle bombs.

Boiling sugar is what you do to make the wort in the first place.

Back