Best brand of extract kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierKoning

Reaction score
Okay, I know this thread is going to cause some debate, and everyone will have their own opinion (it IS a very subjective answer after all) but I'm just wondering, what are some of the best tasting kits that you guys have purchased? and from where?

There's so many options out there, it's easy to get turned around with all different types of kits and manufacturers. So, what do you say??

(side note: Anyone know a place to buy a 3gal kit?? just don't like the excess...)

I stick to my LHBS developed kits. The guys who put them together are then available for asking questions or expressing concerns.

To me, haven't seen much difference, and have ordered from three different places. My LHBS I have been REALLY dissappointed in, and don't go there unless I have to. (out of stuff I need, packaging the wrong items, stuff on backorder for 7 months, not super friendly when asked reasonably intelligent questions, even when the store is empty, etc, etc...)Biggest thing to me is to use "upgraded" yeast if available. Shipping the yeast can be a problem though, as I've thought on several times that my smack pack had busted in transit, due to the bulging of the package prior to activation. So my next thoughts will be to order online the kits, and get the yeast locally. That makes a huge difference to me, but then again, I've only done 6-8 batches.

i've been to my LBHS every week since I started brewing. i knew already that they were overpriced. Their extract kits run in the $60-$70 range. every time i go i note which kits they have. it seems as though certain kits sit there, and the more popular ones are always out of stock. i have a feeling they don't sell many of their kits due to price. i have ordered 2 from Austin Homebrew Supply. The first one shipped the same day i ordered. the second one took 3 days to process but will arrive within a week of ordering. they have many options, many clones, and send easy to read instructions for a new brewer. i buy the yeast locally.

For me I love Northern Brewer...great service, great kits, website and catalog are 1st class. I've been to their store and customer service in person was great too.

I'll never purchase from anyone else!

I don't know about best but Northern Brewer and More Beer are the biggest. This generally means quick turnover on inventory and fresh ingredients. I believe Northern Brewer has their own local malt producer and More Beer is using Briess but not certain of that.

akimbo78 said:
i've been to my LBHS every week since I started brewing. i knew already that they were overpriced. Their extract kits run in the $60-$70 range.

THAT is overpriced. Whew!

My LHBS carries Brewers Best, as well as Coopers and other simpler kits. I am transitioning to all grain BIAB now but still do the occasional Brewer's Best for a quicker easier brew day.
The big pro's are:
1. good selection of styles
2. steeping grains in most kits
3. introduction to some more advanced techniques such as late additions, varying hop schedules, steeping grains, liquid and dry extracts, lagering.
4. good quality hop pellets are vacuum sealed, often seem fresher than the zip lock hops in the LHBS fridge
5. Good instructions with slight modification (as with any kit they don't suggest long primaries and seem focused on getting beer quickly). Instructions are simple and easy to read and include a brew day flowsheet.
6. Great for starting out because they have a wide range from extremely simple kits to more complicated, you have room to grow and learn brewing skills as you prepare more advanced kits.

Cons:
1. Dry yeast only, I will sometimes sub in a liquid yeast and save the dry for hurried brew days and "kitchen sink" brews
2. No date on outside of box, cannot be certain how long it has sat on the LHBS shelf
3. No ingredients list on box. Can't be sure what type of hops etc are in there prior to purchase unless at LHBS and they are cool enough to let you open it to check. Ingredients may vary between kits purchased in different years.

My advice is for the 3 gallon batches part. Invest in a brewing software then find a kit you like on a site that lists the ingredients like Brewmasters warehouse or Northern brewer. Enter the recipe as is into the software then convert to 3 gallons. Then you can purchase the individual ingredients!

I'm a big fan of Austin homebrew, but I haven't tried anywhere else. They have a huge selection on kits. My only complaint is that sometimes the seals on the AHS' LME aren't the best and sometimes slightly leak in the box, but it's only a tablespoon lost at the most. I may order from some place closer if I do a style that needs liquid yeast (e.g. hefeweizen). It takes 5 days of shipping time to arrive in NY, and I doubt an ice pack will help much in the warmer months.

Back